Roland VG-88 sounds awful with KPA

• Yesterday I tried to play over the VG88 connected to the KPA (clean profile) and was very disappointed. Whateveer preset I used, it sounded like modulated noise. I have tried all output settings on the VG88 to no avail. Any thoughts?

• Try bypassing the amp and effects in the VG-88, and send just the modelled guitar sound to the KPA.

Yes, that is a good idea. I tried it and the tone is way better now. Thanks. But still have to find the right settings, with that sound you can cut metal!

• Just keep working with the combo, but as Paults pointed out, leave the VG amps off, and select line/ phones output. I have been using this combo for 2-3 yrs. and it sounds great! Also, you can get great results by running them parallel. In that case, you run the output of the 88 ( utilizing the VG amp of your choice), into the alternate input, as a loop in the KPA. This effectively gives you two amps, that can compliment each other.

• Personally I would not use a VG88 in this way. Send your clean unaltered guitar sound to the Kemper and send the VG88 to the PA or mixer. You are sending a modelled sound into a modelled amp and that is just a receipt for bad sound just my $.02

• I think some may be missing the point.

I use my VG-99 to do alternate tunings, which I fed to which I feed to the KPA. I do this with my analog setup as well.

The idea is to use the VG-99 for as little of the sound generation as possible. All amp, cab and effects sims are off on the VG-99. I just choose the guitar type and set the alternate tuning on the VG-99. As with every guitar/amp/effects chain, you have to expect to tweak to get the sound you want.