EQing headphones

• Just bought me a pair a Beyerdynamics DT770 250 ohms and couldn't make it sound to my taste.
    Until I stumbled upon this article:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/41390…our-headphones-a-tutorial

I decided to try it. I donwloaded Sinegen ( a sine wave generator) and started sweeping frequencies to see if I could hear some differences.
    Without much expectations i must say, as I do no consider myself as a trained ear.
    Well I was shocked !! The peaks are clearly audible and easy to identify. Such differences are hard to believe but they are probably present in every headphones, even the flat, high-end ones, mainly due to the "human response".
    It was easy to EQ the peaks out (i'm using a Behringer DEQ2496) and now it sounds much more natural and less fatiguing.

And you , are you using some sort of EQ with your headphones ?

BTW that's one more point for a EQ section in the KPA output menu ;)

• Hi, i have the same headphones, i use a little space and thats it. I tried different types and finally the beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm was my fav. No eq nessecary imo.
    If i tweak rigs with headphone on they also sound good over my frfr.

• Apart from the source's linearity, what you heard depends on the HPs' amplitude response, on your individual sensitivity, and on the mechanical coupling between your head and the chosen HPs. Basically, any pair of HPs sound differently on different heads.

:)

• Yes that's what the article is about. He says his friends have different frequency peaks than him .That's why every one needs to do is own EQ.
    Nevertheless I don't think any human is exempt from that phenomenon :)