tips on connecting the Kemper to a (small) PA

• Hi guys

I usually run my Kemper into an Atomic 112-50 or a 212-50. Sounds awesome. Lately I have been doing some gis in a small bar. No room for my Atomics. I need to connect the Kemper to the mixing desk of the small PA. I made the mistake of connecting the monitor out to the mixer. Sounded pretty awfull (especially the lead sounds). Now I use one of the xlr outputs and set the PA sort of neutral. It sounds better, but I'm not thrilled.
    Any advice?

• Older PA-systems had a weaker midrange while more modern and high-end systems are designed to be fairly linear. How it sounds is ultimately up to the operator/soundman. Channel EQs on the PA must be used to compesate for the difference i characteristic between the PA and the sound-rig used to dial in your tone. With a decent modern PA-rig I find that the issue is more about adjusting the PA for the venue than to compensate for characteristics of differend sound-rigs.

If the sound-system is decent and handled properly there is very little you need to do to make the KPA sound good except from matching your output signal-level to that expected by the stagebox, mixing-console or recording gear yu connect to. Learn about how and when to use line-level vs mic-level connections. In particular: when you connect the main XLR outputs to mic-preamps you need to reduce the profilers output to avoid clipping the inputs. The XLR outputs are line-level while the mic-pres expect a much weaker signal. If you set the main outputs at somewhere between -20 and -25dB it should work just fine. Any soundman worth his salt should be screaming bloody murder if your levels are out, but for to me unknown reasons this is often overlooked. Problems related to signal-level-matching is one of, if not the, most common issue on this forum.

• My main outs are set for -15db, that seems to work fine for a signal. Then use your output section EQ to get it sounding right, or at least decent (then the sound person can pretty much leave it flat).
    If you are going to play that place quite a few times, you should use the output EQ and set it for that PA system and save it for easy recall.
    You are always at the mercy of the bars, board, amp, speakers, sound person, that is "provided" for you. Most of the time it's sub par stuff. Lol

• Hello together,
    I have just seen this post :) I have my Kemper only a few days, and already used in 2 Gigs - although I am not quite familiar with the kemper amp (600W)

And I have a also a problem here:

I used in the last 2 Gigs a Marshall cabinet 4x12 as a monitor ==> worked fine :-))

In parallel I wanted to send the signal out to a mixer ==> I got only a signal on the PA, when I put in the cable to monitor out.

I tried to use the main out to connect to PA-Mixer (I have used the "Klinke" cables - not the XLR),
    also I tried to check the output knob - but failed.
    So I don't know what I have made wrong.

Wonder if someone has the same problem?

Thank you for any answer!

Kind regards
    Enrico

:) Thanks for all your help ! :thumbup:

• Hey guys,

I tried to use the main out to connect to PA-Mixer (I have used the "Klinke" cables - not the XLR),also I tried to check the output knob - but failed.So I don't know what I have made wrong.

Problem solved:
    I stepped through the output panels..... and I discovered some "Output profiles",
    changed to another Output profile ..... and now it works !!!!

Hope, this helps someone who has the same problem

Kind regards
    Enrico :-))

:) Thanks for all your help ! :thumbup: