Midi Foot controller questions/issues

• I have a couple issues I'm hoping someone can help sort out for me.

1. I have a mastermind PBC foot controller and when connected, the KPA can start to respond slowly to button presses on the head itself and from the foot controller when in performance mode or browse mode.

My questions:
    Is there a boot up method where I am not supposed to plug the midi into the head until I have it loaded?

Should I be able to switch from browse mode to performance mode while the midi is connected? I seem to get the lagging response more when switching from browse to performance. Sometimes the head becomes unresponsive, more so in performance mode.

When I disconnect the midi cable, the head seems to respond again, but then if I plug it back in, it seems to lag resulting in me needing to reboot to get it to act normal.

If I boot into browse mode I can get the head to respond to effect stomp on off messages and program change messages fine. However if I then switch to performance mode or boot into performance mode, the head doesn't seem to respond very well to the same stomp messages and program change messages. I haven't been able to get it to respond to program changes at all.

Am I able to connect a usb cable and midi cable at the same time? So far the kemper doesn't respond to midi while the usb cable is plugged in, is the correct behavior?