A tutorial for first-dating the Profiler! Now with link

• We have been experiencing since a long time the typical scenario of a new user that is not aware of the basic controls on the Profiler and of how they could improve their tone, and opens a thread where we end up always writing the same basic 10-15 advises.

As promised in another thread, I've written a short tutorial (in English) for those who use a Profiler for the first time and have no clue about the basic controls, and how to determine if they are doing something wrong.

The .pdf file is available here.

John, thanks again for your help and your support mate :)

Suggestions, observations and corrections are welcome :thumbup:

• Is there any English mother-tongue user

yeah, i can give it a go over too if you like :)

Shouldn't be too hard to make a tutorial to help people get lucky on their first date ;)

but im not English, and i don't use my mother's tongue. that would be weird :P

I think it would be more useful to use a more cosmopolitan style for this as well, since this is an international site, and will have people from all over with varying degrees of experience
    with english, it can be written in a way that is user friendly to people with very basic english experience. The idea is if you can read a sentence it should be easy to understand, and also if you can't (just some words for example, and terms that will translate easily) it you will still be able to grasp the idea presented. Not as easy as it sounds, because you are not focusing on one grp, but cant predict who will be reading it. its worthwhile to do imo, because it will cut down on basic questions from people who are learning english.

As far as making the language perfect, that's easy enuff, and i think both can be done at once.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html is a typical resource for this, used in most countries. there are a few of these style manuals out there, they do pretty much the same thing, with some minor differences. It is a good resource to writing a variety of documents.

Proofreading... Got me wondering tho, does anyone still use these? Perhaps a school of some sort. Before my time, from some ancient world ...

even the most basic word processor is better. Like the tiny window I am using to write this.

most people use print ready pdf now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepress

• Hello Gandalf,

thanks for your insight.

when I refer to proofreading, in this specific case, I'm just thinking of a way to "polish" and "smooth" that mixture of jargon expressions and sentence rhythm that shows a text has been written by a native speaker.
    I'd not agree that a well-written text becomes harder to approach for foreign readers.
    I am a professional writer, and I have already taken care - AFAIC - of writing simple concepts in a clear manner. I'd just like it to sound fluent. Maybe it already does, but pretty sure a native speaker would phrase things in a (slightly?) different way.

As an example, I'm pretty sure this post is quite readable and comprehensible by a native speaker, but at the same time when I read posts from any of them I feel a peculiar tone, rhythm and choice of words and structures that makes it undoubtedly "English".

Hope this makes sense :)

• I'm an English teacher, and a writer... and would be happy to help out however I can. I'm also very new to the Kemper (had mine about 2 weeks) so I would be approaching it from the eyes of your intended audience.

The older I get, the better I was.

• heya Via, kinda got the impression you were writing professionally.... seems like there are a few here

Don't worry about your english lol... it is pretty good. I have seen far, far worse from "native speakers" who really have no excuse, think post grads etc.

not sure what got into my head with those marks used for typesetting, neat stuff in a way.

India is the largest english speaking country in the world, so any accents etc like south usa, all kinds there and canada too, dont forget the auserroo's
    England can barely speak at all, think it is called UK now, or cockney's (living within hearing range of big ben) who are barely intelligible (shot's fired /ducks /jk). A worldwide language with 1.5 possibly even 2 million words by now, fastest growing too.

Good luck in your endeavour, I'm sure you an T will have things sorted out top notch :)

• Is there any English mother-tongue user with some writing skills willing to proof-read it before I post? I'd like to at least avoid the most basic errors, and above all I'd want the text to sound as good English as possible :)

I've had my KPA since last August, but my schedule and temporary living conditions didn't allow for much learning. Spending some serious time with KPA in the next few weeks and I'd be more than willing to be a guinea pig for document usability and/or adding graphics (if that's something that would be useful).

• Hi Gianfranco, nice initiative. :)
    I am afraid that your description of Clarity parameter is in fact description for Definition. Why not just copy it from manual? :)

From Reference manual:
    Clarity
    “Clarity” changes the sound of the distortion in a new and unique way. Turning the “Clarity” soft knob to the right will bring the clean character of the sound into focus without lowering the amount of distortion. The distortion itself will become less forward in the mid frequencies and sound far more transparent.

Definition
    The “Definition” parameter controls the characteristic fingerprint of the preamp. The profiling process automatically sets “Definition” to a value that represents the reference amp. You could, for example, use it to modernize the Profile of a vintage amp without having to use additional stomps. Alternatively, start with a Profile of a modern tube amp, and use “Definition” to give it a more vintage sound when driven into distortion