Which is "louder" Atomic CLR Active Wedge or Yamaha DXR10?

• Yeah that sounds like something's rattling inside.
    Just out ouf curiosity, if you flip the DXR to its other side does the rattling maybe vanish?
    That would hint at a loose cable inside.

I tried this today and it still has the same sound. Ingolf, would you be able to replicate the settings I mentioned above with your DXR10 and see if anything similar happens when you're at the volumes that I listed above? I know it won't be 100% identical due to different guitars and such. But I'm curious as to if this is just the Yamaha reaching it's peak volume levels for the speaker (not necessarily the input), or if there is legitimately something wrong with the speaker.

Also, if you are able to replicate these settings, can you let me know if your Atomic is able to handle this level of volume without any speaker issues? If it can, I just may buy the Atomic and stop messing around with the middle-tier options of speakers

Edited once, last by OhG ().

• I returned the DXR10. If it was defective, then that'd explain the noise in the videos above. If it wasn't defective, then it simply can't handle the volume I needed.

I wanted to try another DXR10, DXR12 or a DSR112, but in typical Guitar Center fashion, they didn't have any. So I ended up buying a DXR15. I tested it in the store with my Kemper and from the 10-15 minutes I spent with it, it SEEMS like it was fine.

I've never used a 15" speaker for guitar before and was worried it may be too boomy. But it seemed like it was fine. In terms of volume, it was more than capable of handling the volume I need, and with no rattling or flubby speakers. So I'm hoping that given the high volumes that I use on stage, maybe the 15" speaker will be the right fit for me. I say this, because it was a clearance floor model speaker. It's "new" and is still covered by the typical warranties, but cannot be returned unless there is something wrong with it. I got it for $500, so it seems like a good deal to me.

On another note, the Guitar Center employee tried selling me a JBLPRX saying that it would be my best option for the Kemper (I disagreed after hearing it). He also tried to claim that the reason I was experiencing the noise with the DXR10 (in the videos above) was because I wasn't using the XLR outputs to connect the Kemper to the DXR. I explained to him several times that not only the members on the forum, but the Kemper manual itself states that using a standard 1/4" TS cable to connect the monitor out to a powered speaker and using the XLR main outputs for the board is the way to go. He continued to insist that the noise was due to this method of hookup. Ugh!

• On another note, the Guitar Center employee tried selling me a JBLPRX saying that it would be my best option for the Kemper (I disagreed after hearing it). He also tried to claim that the reason I was experiencing the noise with the DXR10 (in the videos above) was because I wasn't using the XLR outputs to connect the Kemper to the DXR.

Perhaps my DXR10 is somehow defective, but when I use the XLR input it sounds like crap. If I had a second one I'd know for sure whether that's normal or a flaw in this one, but for now I only use the 1/4" input.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Perhaps my DXR10 is somehow defective, but when I use the XLR input it sounds like crap. If I had a second one I'd know for sure whether that's normal or a flaw in this one, but for now I only use the 1/4" input.

That was part of my problem as well. Not having a 2nd DXR to compare my other one to. And Guitar Center never has any of these in their stores. I loved the overall sound of it, but the noise was unacceptable. If I was able to try another DXR10 and determine for sure that mine was simply defective, I would have bought another DXR10. I didn't experience any of that noise with the DXR15.

• I know the tightness of the lower frequencies won't be as good on the DXR15 as compared to the DXR10. But does anyone know if the overall tone should be relatively similar between the two models (outside of extreme nuances that most of us wouldn't pick up on in a live situation)?

That's what I'm hoping for with my DXR15. I don't play a lot of stuff where I need a really tight bass response. My band plays maybe a couple Disturbed or Metallica covers once in a while, but that's about it. The rest is more modern top 40 rock and classic rock. So considering it only cost $500 new, I'd be okay with trading off a little on-stage bass response, in exchange for being able to have the tone of the DXR10 at higher volumes without the speaker having issues and rumbling/flubbing out.

• I have had a bit of this at high volumes using a regular 4x12 with powered toaster. I either use the clarity function to filter some out normally around 9 oclock, and for other profiles i simply use a studio eq and reduce the low gain with preserves the tone and removes the flub.