Question about merged profiles

• So when you profile an amp twice, once for the preamp only, and once for the rig through the cab, and then you merge them, does the profiler perform some algorithm on them to EXTRACT the isoalted cab sound, or does it simply use two profiles simultaneously. What I mean is, if I have the full rig (mic and all) going to FOH, and the cab-less sound going to the amp on stage, if the Kemper actually running two profiles during that time?

Just wondering if it would really be superior for the device to take three separate profiles and allow the use of any 1/2/3 depending on the desired output.

Preamp could be taken from the input to the FX send, then Power amp could be taken from the FX return to the speaker output, then the cab could be taken straight from the Kemper's power amp/direct out (with an external amp) and returned through the mic.

Then you could use a single profile end to end in FOH, and either use PRE into Power through the Kemper's power amp into an unpowered cab, or use just PRE into the FX return of an amp on stage, and get an accurate representation regardless. As it is now, you have to make separate profiles for each intent.

• It is NOT a preamp profile (as this would only capture the preamp). It is a direct amp profile which captures the whole amp with the load of the cab but without the cab.
    It's a subtractive thing:
    First you take a studio profile (i.e. the whole signal chain incl. the cab). Then you take a direct amp profile (you need a D.I. box for that that can sit after the poweramp but before the amp.
    Now studio profile minus direct amp profile equals the isolated cab portion.

• Thanks Ingolf. That I understand. Just wondering if two separate prfiles are used or if there is a subtractive algorothm that attempts to "extract" the cab from the studio profile.

Also, While I DID order the Kemper DI for taking the speaker out directly, thus creating a pre/power amp profile with the cab excluded, I will also want to make some profiles that exclude the power amp as well. In that case, the Kemper will need to subtract the power amp and cab together. Then I can run the preamp only profile into the FX return of a tube amp, and I won't get a "double power amp" situation.

Just thinking that it'd be more than possible to profile each of the three components separately and then use them as needed. Would also be great to do it in a single profiling workflow, instead of making two profiles and merging them. It could be done completely with a software upgrade i think. Maybe Kemper 4.0!!!

That said, I love the device, and except for a s few small issues and criticisms I think it's a game changing product! It can satisfy purists, when modeling can not.

• Premising the critical difference between amp and preamp as Ingolf stated, the merging profilling technique is able to exactly determine the cab's sound, with the sublte variable introduced by the Di box you use, which may be more or less transparent.
    in a merged profile you use the amp (DI) profile plus the cab profile; the latter has been evaluated by comparing the studio and the DI profile. So you might say somehow they are two distinct profiles, merged.

HTH

• That pretty much answers my question.

So if I profile the preamp alone (power amp out of the equation) I will then get a preamp and a powerAmp/cab separation.

If I use the Kemper DI to take the output from the speaker out then I will get a Preamp/powerAmp and a Cab separation.