Posts by Category5

I think you might be overdriving the preamp on the board. A lot of sound guys think if the connector fits, it's compatible. I can't tell you the number of times I've fed a line-level output to the sound guy only to have him idiotically run that into a cheesy mixer preamp and persist to tell me levels are way to hot for some reason. It's a LINE-LEVEL signal, I reiterate over and over to blank stares.

Anyway, you can certainly get teh levels matched and run into a preamp if you want to. Leave the output gain at 0. A better solution would be to give the sound guy a TRS connector instead of XLR, so he uses the line input on the board instead of the mic pre.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's a problem I've had a lot over the years.

As for the kemper sounding brittle, and edgy. I've been dealing with that myself, and find that most profiles have the treble and presence WAY to high for most of the stuff we do. At first I was afraid to crank them because it just didn't seem like it could be right, but we are getting better sounds since doing it. If it sounds good, then there are no rules.

Yes, thank you geese_com; that's a relief mate.

The Kemper Team™ has stated that this will void the warranty and that the unit should be returned for battery replacement. I doubt any batteries have run out yet as I'm guessing 7-10 years wouldn't be an unreasonable life expectancy.

For anyone who's already had a replacement done, I can't help but wonder whether something else was afoot.

That's a real bummer. Cheap coin batteries can expire within 1-2 years, such as the MAXELL that was in my Kemper. Anyway, the new battery fixed it, and the MAXELL measured well below 3V so I think that was the problem, at least in my case. Why replacing a battery would void a warranty is beyond me, but for working musicians sending a device in for repair can take way too long, and might not be possible unless Kemper is willing to send an exchange unit or loaner. For bedroom players maybe sending the unit in and waiting is an option, but this isn't a repair, it's a 3V lithium battery replacement. Weird policy.

If this is firmware related, great, but the new battery fixed it for me, and the old one measured low, so....

FWIW, I have bought coin batteries that were dead out of the package! My TV 3d glasses use them so I bought a 12 pack of MAXELL brand CR2024's from Amazon. Went to watch a movie a few months ago and there wasn't a good one in the pack, so it certainly can happen. Now I only buy Duracell or Energizer brand.

You can already profile a cab alone. Of course you'll need a preamp and a power amp to drive it anyway, but merged profiling is meant to help you just isolate the cab (when used in the traditional way).

Do you mean there is a way to make a cab profile without doiung an end-to-end profile and then subtracting the speaker-out profile from it? if so, is there still a way to merge the cab profile into a complete patch?

Know of any tutorials? I am realizing I am going to have to make my own profiles to get this box to sound the way I want, so I'm looking for the best workflow to adopt in getting that done.

I got this error on my power rack yesterday. I found a few threads that alluded to support requiring that the unit be sent in for repair, which wasn't really acceptable since I need the unit for shows each weekend.

Luckily, I was able to pop the top (the green cover secured by 6 screws) and gain access to the CR2032 battery, which was the culprit. A new CR2032 and my Kemper is working again like it should. I have NO clue as to why the battery isn't accessible from outside the unit, or as to why support would ask for the unit to be returned to simply change a battery, but if you get this error try replacing the battery first. Hope this helps someone with the same issue.

That pretty much answers my question.

So if I profile the preamp alone (power amp out of the equation) I will then get a preamp and a powerAmp/cab separation.

If I use the Kemper DI to take the output from the speaker out then I will get a Preamp/powerAmp and a Cab separation.

Thanks Ingolf. That I understand. Just wondering if two separate prfiles are used or if there is a subtractive algorothm that attempts to "extract" the cab from the studio profile.

Also, While I DID order the Kemper DI for taking the speaker out directly, thus creating a pre/power amp profile with the cab excluded, I will also want to make some profiles that exclude the power amp as well. In that case, the Kemper will need to subtract the power amp and cab together. Then I can run the preamp only profile into the FX return of a tube amp, and I won't get a "double power amp" situation.

Just thinking that it'd be more than possible to profile each of the three components separately and then use them as needed. Would also be great to do it in a single profiling workflow, instead of making two profiles and merging them. It could be done completely with a software upgrade i think. Maybe Kemper 4.0!!!

That said, I love the device, and except for a s few small issues and criticisms I think it's a game changing product! It can satisfy purists, when modeling can not.

So when you profile an amp twice, once for the preamp only, and once for the rig through the cab, and then you merge them, does the profiler perform some algorithm on them to EXTRACT the isoalted cab sound, or does it simply use two profiles simultaneously. What I mean is, if I have the full rig (mic and all) going to FOH, and the cab-less sound going to the amp on stage, if the Kemper actually running two profiles during that time?

Just wondering if it would really be superior for the device to take three separate profiles and allow the use of any 1/2/3 depending on the desired output.

Preamp could be taken from the input to the FX send, then Power amp could be taken from the FX return to the speaker output, then the cab could be taken straight from the Kemper's power amp/direct out (with an external amp) and returned through the mic.

Then you could use a single profile end to end in FOH, and either use PRE into Power through the Kemper's power amp into an unpowered cab, or use just PRE into the FX return of an amp on stage, and get an accurate representation regardless. As it is now, you have to make separate profiles for each intent.

Quote from Category5: “Honestly, I can't believe this thing doesn't have it! I thought I was just an idiot and couldn't figure out how to set it. There's really no spring reverb on this thing!!!!”

What about reading specs and manuals before…

Well, I didn't say it was a dealbreaker, but unless there's a really good technical reason as to why it hasn't been done it seems like a pretty nonsensical omission. There are 4 flavors of reverb, and spring verb is the only one ever included on a guitar amp. This thing is meant to replace the amp, so why include 4 that would never be found on an amp, and omit the one found on most?

Would be great to be able to send the monitor out to an FX return on a combo (or pwer out to cab), the direct out to FOH for the main mix, and the main outs to the board for monitoring the the guitar player's ears.

Guitar player will be much more compfortable monitoring the headphone space effected signal, since it will sound more like an amp on stage, but I want the true mic'ed profile signal in the mains, not the headophone space one.

I know I can do this by running a line from the headphone out to a stereo channel on the monitor console, and using that for the guitar player's ears, but we all know that's a crude hack. With all the functionality, power, and i/o on this thing, that would be a great feature to have.

Heck, even a mono version of headphone space from the direct out would do it for me.

Seems there are plenty of inputs to make a profiling program that would first take a profile from the preamp section only, through the fx send/return, and then take a second component from the mic'ed cab or speaker output (for those that desire). Would be awesome to take that one step further and allow power heads to take a snapshot of just the speaker cab, independent from the tube pre and tube power amp, allowing for three separate components in a single patch. In this there would be unltimate flexibility to send the complete Mic'ed amp to the FOH, while allowing the monitor out to feed the FX return of the tube amp on stage, or allowing the direct out/power head out to feed an amp/cabinet on stage.

What I want is to take the Kemper's direct out to the FOH board for best sound quality and consistency, and allow the player to tweak and play on stage with a real amp either through the power head (or external amp), or via the FX return on a real tube amp, as they desire.

Since the kemper allows the cap component to be switched off, it at least makes sense to profile this to allow the true sound of the amp to go to the direct out when doing that.

i know you can take multiple profiles of the amp and merge them, but it seems less flexible, and I think all the pieces are already present for going the next mile in accuracy and flexibility.

Thanks for considering!