Yamaha DXR10 and Friedman ASM-12 Comparison Video

• Here's a quick video I shot today playing through my Yamaha DXR10 and Friedman ASM-12 and doing a little A/B testing with my Kemper PowerHead.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

0:00-5:10 = Yamaha DXR10
    5:25-10:50 = Friedman ASM-12

-----

Recorded "in the room" with a Zoom Q2HD about 6 feet away and about 6 feet off the ground centered between the speakers.

Used only MBritt profiles with no effects.

1) 67 Luxe Verb 1 S
    2) Dirty Laverne Lo 3
    3) 69 Marshall 50 G7
    4) 5353 Ch 3 A 3
    5) CTone OTS OD F1

Friedman connected via XLR and Yamaha connected via Monitor Out.

Used my decibel meter to match the profile output volumes to around 85db.

Please excuse my sloppy playing.

---------

As you can tell, there is a huge physical difference between the two cabs. The Yamaha is nice and light and the Friedman feels like a regular 2x12 cab. It reminded me of when I owned a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab. I read a lot of complaints about the handle placement on the Friedman, but it really doesn't bother me. Sure, handles on the side would be nice, but I do not think it is necessary. I would definitely recommend using two arms to lift the Friedman though just because of the size and dimensions of the cab. The weird thing about the Friedman is that it is as if the Armor All (or whatever) that was sprayed on the exterior of the cab was overdone. It is super slick which makes trying to grip the cab very difficult.

In my opinion, it is kind of hard to tell the difference based on the YouTube video. There is quite a difference in person. As stated in other online posts, the Friedman has more of that "amp in the room" feel. You can really feel it when you playing through the Friedman. It is not as bright compared to the Yamaha. The Yamaha is clearer and brighter than the Friedman but it does not have the same feel as Friedman. As expected, the DXR10 is just like having a studio monitor but in wedge form. I also own a pair of HS8s and that is what the DXR10 sounds like but the sound is coming up from the floor.

Both cabs are very loud. In the video, I only had them up to 85db. The level knobs on both were at 9 o'clock. 85db was plenty loud just for basement playing. Both of them have plenty of volume for gigs.

I know this will sound cliche, but I wouldn't say that one cab is better than the other. It is just a matter of taste since both cabs are excellent. I would recommend the DXR10 if weight is an issue for you and you want a more polished/hi-fi sound. I would recommend the Friedman if you want the feel of a cab and can handle the size (if you have ever owned a 2x12 cab, you can handle the ASM-12. It is definitely similar and much easier to handle than a 4x12 cab.) Both are excellent options as a FRFR.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll try my best to answer.

• <p>Thanks so much for this video. &nbsp;I haven't tried the DXR10, but I have a Friedman. &nbsp;There are things I like about the Friedman (wood enclosure, pretty grill cloth, sound is ok) and things I really dislike (heavy and cumbersome, no 1/4&quot; input, lower output when going from 1/4&quot; Kemper output to adaptor into XLR) but in the right situations it can sound really good. &nbsp;The DXR looks lightweight and way more practical. &nbsp;How do you compare the low end between the two? &nbsp;I would assume the ASM12 would have more low end, but do you find that to be true?</p>

• <p>Thanks so much for this video. &nbsp;I haven't tried the DXR10, but I have a Friedman. &nbsp;There are things I like about the Friedman (wood enclosure, pretty grill cloth, sound is ok) and things I really dislike (heavy and cumbersome, no 1/4&quot; input, lower output when going from 1/4&quot; Kemper output to adaptor into XLR) but in the right situations it can sound really good. &nbsp;The DXR looks lightweight and way more practical. &nbsp;How do you compare the low end between the two? &nbsp;I would assume the ASM12 would have more low end, but do you find that to be true?</p>

After I saw this question I went back down to test of the D-Contour Switch on the Yamaha.

You can get lots of low end from both speakers. If you change the D-Contour Switch settings on the DXR10 you can certainly get things rattling. I wouldn't recommend it for bass guitar but the Drop D riffs I was playing sure has lots of bass in them. In the "FOH/Main" position there is more than enough bass , but it also changes the high end because it is boosted (as per the Yamaha DXR series manual).

I would say the amount of bass is equal between the two if the ASM-12 has the Low Cut Switch "off" and the D-Contour on the DXR is "off". There is slightly less bass with the D-Contour Switch set to "Monitor" and more bass when set to "FOH/Main".