Singing/guitar playing/rig-switching Live more easy with switching through rIgs with one step

• Hi,

(this is written under feature request for a Live/Setlist/Song/Riglist also)

you have the need of switching easily through your rigs without looking to your midicontroler?
    This is what I have done:

Next to my midicontroller I use a monoswitcher now.
    I configured it under System/Pedal1/Mono Switch/ Rig up.
    I created Performances for all Song/Rig-scenarios and can switch through the rigs with ONE switch.
    When a Performance with its 5 slots isn´t enough for a song, it automatically switches to the next performance (with a little delay, but thats ok for the advantage).
    I just set the respective performance with my midicontroller.
    And then I use the monoswitcher to switch through all rigs of the song.
    Very comfortable.

• I'm also the lead vocalist and have completely given up using midi live. I just use a Boss FS-7 and an expression pedal for morph/wah. Obviously, the performances have to be built around a fixed set list but I also have the lyrics sheet with the relevant Performance info at the top should we decide to to mix it around. 1 Trs cable, no batteries or power supply needed.

• No, as I said we stick to a fixed set list therefore I only ever step up one performance slot, never back. If the song goes Crunch, Clean, Lead, Crunch; that's also the order the Performance is programmed including duplicating the Performance slots. It's no big deal once you're used to it.

I use this at band practice too, so that's why I also add the details to the lyrics sheet. If we want to go back and retry a song, I can easily see that I need to be on Song 3, Performance Slot 3 for example. Sure, I don't get much spontaneity with my tones but the trade off is the freedom to get on with my vocals without distraction.

• I see the value in your approach @chu.
    What I don't get is the distraction thing.
    I mean, you are using lyrics sheets as a singer?
    Now that's a distraction to me.
    (Lead singer and guitarist here as well BTW, doing it all from memory still... ;) )

Maybe 'distraction' wasn't the correct word. I just like the simplicity of a one click solution.

At band practice I'll use lyrics sheets with the relevant Performance info on so if we decide to revisit a song that we didn't play so well it doesn't take any effort to find the correct profiles. It's on the set list for gigs. I often use the same profile throughout several songs, so it doesn't make sense to have a Performance for each song. YMMV of course.

As for remembering lyrics, I'm always going to be cursed by that issue. I've tried everything over the years and yet still randomly draw a blank every now and then. Singing along to a song without lyrics is easy-peasy (as is being the backing singer). With the lyric sheets I'll barely glance at them but them take away completely and every now and then I'll forget the first word of a line and it throws me right off. I've never been good with reciting anything verbatim but unfortunately I'm not quick enough to cover it sometimes at gigs so have come up with another solution.

I now use a LCD monitor housed in a wedge monitor to help me out. I know, some people think it's a horrible idea as I should be able to remember the lyrics! I've seen plenty of footage of the professionals doing it though, from Stereophonics, Elton John, Axl Rose (and not even the current washed up Axl but the early '90s one), Deborah Harry.... We don't beat on classical musicians for needing sheet music and a conductor......

Edited once, last by chu ().

• Not really contributing here, but in another band, we're playing with a DAW, Click-Track and Reaper is switching everything for us. POD HD500, VoiceLive 3 etc...

Furthermore, one does not simply use music stands in live-music. It seperates the good from the bad bands at a glance. (Just for the record) ;)

• Did you (all) also notice a delay in switching with a mono footswitch?
    With MIDI switching works without delay.
    I don´t know if this perhaps is caused by my cheap switcher.

A while ago I also let my DAW (Miditrack) switch my gear.
    It was great for the performance.
    But I didn´t liked the total dependence of the system.
    Of course I could use a midicontroller parallel with a midimerger.
    But then you get more and more stuff together.
    I left this method.