Let me know your favourite plugins

• One more thing I've noticed. It's not so much the Low frequencies where I am off, but the mid frequencies on my Dynaudio are sort of smeared - they sound smooth even when they are not. After getting a Mixcube, I am much more aware of wayward mids in my mix, and am able to EQ and compress better as a result. Works great for level setting as well.

• It's more about the size of the space I'm working in. The ported Dynaudios are probably a bit much, especially give the volumes I work at. A smaller pair would have less interaction with the room - won't eliminate it, but definitely mitigate some of the room's characteristics somewhat.

I hate to suggest that you buy new things but I promise this one might not be very expensive. Without room treatment, most of the eq tecniues are almost like shots in the dark. There's no telling what the room effect on what you're hearing is. Acoustic panels in specific locations in your room will help a lot.

Before you go spending lots of money on acoustic panels, you can make your own relatively cheap. For a bout 70$ you can get lots of solid fiber glass solid boards, and cover them with the fabric of your choice for how ever many you need. Once you treat your room, you might be shocked how your mixes or any music for that matter will sound.

Here's a link from amazon (if you look around, you might find even cheaper actually I'm sure you can still get them cheaper but this)
    http://www.amazon.com/Owens-Co…lass-Boards/dp/B005V3L834

to make fabric stick to these you can use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Super…fRID=1K210Z0R2Y14V98EH50Q

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• It's more about the size of the space I'm working in. The ported Dynaudios are probably a bit much, especially give the volumes I work at. A smaller pair would have less interaction with the room - won't eliminate it, but definitely mitigate some of the room's characteristics somewhat.

One more thing I've noticed. It's not so much the Low frequencies where I am off, but the mid frequencies on my Dynaudio are sort of smeared - they sound smooth even when they are not. After getting a Mixcube, I am much more aware of wayward mids in my mix, and am able to EQ and compress better as a result. Works great for level setting as well.

Yeah, I thought that was what you meant (about the room size) - my point still stands :) The only thing that might be affected is the linearity of the monitors depending on the level. For that issue, I don't know how the dynaudios fare, or what the physics involved say. My point was just that a smaller pair of monitors are susceptible to exactly the same room issues as larger monitors - since the effect comes from the room, not the monitors themselves.

I'm wondering if your cube is positioned differently, this can have a huge effect on the frequency response at the listening position.

• That stuff looks pretty cool, but they don't ship to Singapore. Will have to see if I can get anything locally that compares.

Yeah, I thought that was what you meant (about the room size) - my point still stands :) The only thing that might be affected is the linearity of the monitors depending on the level. For that issue, I don't know how the dynaudios fare, or what the physics involved say. My point was just that a smaller pair of monitors are susceptible to exactly the same room issues as larger monitors - since the effect comes from the room, not the monitors themselves.

I'm wondering if your cube is positioned differently, this can have a huge effect on the frequency response at the listening position.

Well, for one, my monitors are screwed, so I need a new pair. With smaller monitors I would be able to place my monitors further away from walls, which is probably a big factor messing up my perception of the the bass and mids.

When I say small, I meant something like the Genelec 8020s, they're pretty small monitors and the output is something like 20watts, compared to an output of 50W cone + 50W tweeter in my Dynaudios, which are overkill for the room and space.

I have the Mixcube screwed into a speaker and I position it in front of my face and a good distance from any walls. Works really well, can really hear all the higher frequencies I always failed to EQ with the Dynaudios. They actually complement each other well. I should have a mix for you guys pretty soon for you to determine where exactly my mixes are going wrong: mixing stages or processing.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hey guys, I would like you to take a listen to this track and tell me what plugins you would have used. I still have no money to buy anything, but this was what I could get out of the stock Cubase plugins. I think it sounds pretty good, but it is nothing compared to some of the great stuff I have heard on these forums and online.

Pretty sure it's a mastering thing. I'm not a great studio engineer, but I try really hard.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hey guys, I would like you to take a listen to this track and tell me what plugins you would have used. I still have no money to buy anything, but this was what I could get out of the stock Cubase plugins. I think it sounds pretty good, but it is nothing compared to some of the great stuff I have heard on these forums and online.

Pretty sure it's a mastering thing. I'm not a great studio engineer, but I try really hard.

Hey nightlight

To be ruthlessly honest, this is absolutely not a matter of which plugins to use, and absolutely not a mastering issue either.

Not having access to the individual tracks, I can't speak to the quality of the recordings (though I suspect there might be something here as well). I think also at times the arrangement is very crowded.

What I DO hear is that the levels are not optimal for starters.

If you're interested, I'd give the multitracks a quick whirl with stock plugins and see what I can get out of it (possibly just a section of it). That way I could give you better feedback I think. PM me if you're interested.

Don't be discouraged - remember, there is a big learning curve on this stuff. Rome wasn't built in one day (or burnt down in one day, for that matter ;-)). So keep at it - it takes TIME to even HEAR what the processing/plugins does to the tracks, not to mention the mix as a whole.

• Thanks for the offer, Michael. I'll definitely take you up on it, will create a cloud folder with the files I used for about a minute or two of the heavy guitar and drum parts and give you the link.

Will PM you with the details once I'm done.

• Thanks for the offer, Michael. I'll definitely take you up on it, will create a cloud folder with the files I used for about a minute or two of the heavy guitar and drum parts and give you the link.

Will PM you with the details once I'm done.

Cool. I will probably download tomorrow (no guarantee on when I'll have time to do the actual mix testing :-)). Please also include all the other tracks in there - they're part of the whole picture. I assume some of it is midi, so that will of course have to be rendered as .wav files :)