Recommended For Powerhead

• Hi Guys

I am very excited to be receiving my powered Kemper head tomorrow. However I am unsure what I need in terms of speaker for the ultimate setup.

I didn't really need to go with the powered version as I have never played live however it was the only one in stock and I figure I may be brave enough to one day play live and utitlise one of several cabs I have.

I want to record and also I enjoy pretending that I am playing live to very loud backing tracks so I want the best of both worlds.

Currently I have a couple of Behringer Truth active monitors which I hope will be suitable for my recording needs but I want something that I can use to play like an amp that is not going to colour the sound.

So my question is should I just look for an active FRFR system and just ignore the power amp section (assuming I can do this) or what other options do I have?

Thanks a lot

• At home, the monitors you have will be great for jamming to backing tracks.

You say you have several cabs already? Sweet! Try them all with the power amplifier. Some will naturally suit different amps profiles better than others (like the real amps do), but only one way to find out.

I'm not sure I'd recommend going for a FRFR speaker quite yet as it seems you already have everything you need for what you're wanting to do? Really, the biggest difference between a FRFR pa type speaker and your existing monitors is available volume. How much volume do you need?

• Thanks for the response.

I guess I will just give it a go with my monitor speakers.

I don't like the idea of my cabs colouring the sound. I would rather dial in sounds that I like that I can jump to rocking out or quietly recording or a combination of both! Will see how it works.

I am not sure how to define loud. Loud enough so if you shout you would struggle to be heard but not quite gig loud!

You say you have several cabs already? Sweet! Try them all with the power amplifier. Some will naturally suit different amps profiles better than others (like the real amps do), but only one way to find out

Good advice!

Also, you can create and save output EQ profiles for each cab tailoring the 'colour' to suit yourself . One thing to watch is that speakers will respond differently at different volumes (like real amps do) so you might need different profiles for different scenarios e.g. Vox (studio) - Vox (stage) - Fender DLX studio and so on.

Try a few things before you reach for your wallet!