Strymon Deco and new profiling/refining techniques

• Hello,

it's been a quite some time from my last post. Kemper just came back to my interest after I saw the latest Andertons "blind" test and both Chappers and Captain got it both wrong - thought the amp was the Kemper and vice versa. Seems like the Kemper now has everything I may want from amp - any amp, since it is the same or better. :thumbup: Only one thing I may have miss would be Strymon Deco :huh: . I know I can place it in the stereo loop. But maybe there is similar or same effect inside the Kemper already. Is there? I'm planning to use powered Kemper with guitar cab on stage but sending the "Deco-ed" sound in stereo to FOH.

It seems from the mentioned video that Kemper really improved the profiling process considerably. Are there any new techniquest or steps that would assure my profiles would sound really the same or better than the amp? New refining techniques? Some amps used to be harder or even impossible to get 100% profiles (even Ampfactory used to say so) and also some effects used to be a NO-NO when it comes to profiling. Is it still true?

• Seems like the Kemper now has everything I may want from amp - any amp, since it is the same or better. :thumbup:

Well, the Kemper's chore feature set has remain unchangeed since the beginning. ;)

Only one thing I may have miss would be Strymon Deco :huh: . I know I can place it in the stereo loop. But maybe there is similar or same effect inside the Kemper already. Is there? I'm planning to use powered Kemper with guitar cab on stage but sending the "Deco-ed" sound in stereo to FOH.

ATM there's nothing like the Deco in the kemper's FX arsenal. So stereo loop it is. ;)

It seems from the mentioned video that Kemper really improved the profiling process considerably.

No.

Are there any new techniquest or steps that would assure my profiles would sound really the same or better than the amp? New refining techniques? Some amps used to be harder or even impossible to get 100% profiles (even Ampfactory used to say so) and also some effects used to be a NO-NO when it comes to profiling. Is it still true? Thanks :)

Kemper hinted at the refining process being not obligatory any more. other than that, the Profiler still has difficulty to profile preamp distortion and poweramp distortion simultaneously.

• Hi,

many thanks for detailed and quick answer :thumbup:

Now that is interesting - so Kemper can't do "everything on 10" very well??

Also how do you explain that few years ago Chappers could safely tell Kemper from an tube amp and now he could not? And the same for Captain. I mean the Anderton's video.

• Now that is interesting - so Kemper can't do "everything on 10" very well??

It depends. I've heard great results of e.g profiled cranked Plexis and Voxes. But it's still a fact that some amps are hard to profile.

Also how do you explain that few years ago Chappers could safely tell Kemper from an tube amp and now he could not? And the same for Captain. I mean the Anderton's video.

I can't. I suspect a lot has to do with the fact that Chapman didn't have to do the paradigm shift to embrace an FRFR listening. Playing through the real cab helped immensely in this setting IMO.

• Thanks,

one guy in the discussion under the new Andertons video posted:

"The firmware has been updated multiple times since the last review. The Kemper is a series of DSPs and firmware - the firmware is the heart of the unit - when it changes, the unit changes, period."

• Thanks,

"The firmware has been updated multiple times since the last review. The Kemper is a series of DSPs and firmware - the firmware is the heart of the unit - when it changes, the unit changes, period."

Lol! Guess he knows better than the Kemper programmers and Christoph himself, then!

• Thanks,

Well, the interwebz is full of misinformation. Regarding the Profiler the statement above is wrong.