Gordius Big Little Giant - How are you setting it up?

• I was looking for more control of my rig and ordered one of these. There used to be quite a number of users with one earlier, though I'm not sure if everyone has since switched to the Remote.
    Anyone care to share how they set theirs up? I like the fact that it has a stock setting for the Kemper that changes through performances with the bank up and down buttons. And with 13 switches, there's enough for five patch changes and eight switches.

While that seems really more than enough to browse through the Kemper, what about more complex setups?

I, for one, was hoping to get looper record/overdub, stop and erase on a couple of buttons, a tap tempo linked to a midi start and stop message, a selection of patches per bank depending on the song linked to changes on my synth patch as well as my vocal FX processor, some FX switches, etc.

• There's lots of different ways to set up a Big Little Giant. One possibility is to go for the "maximum integration" with the Profiler, by using the approach described in the Links section of the Gordius website. In such setup, you actually don't need more than 1 single bank to control the Profiler (which is used in performance mode) : you get 5 slot switches + 8 stompbox switches, and the up/down buttons are used to browse through performances. The LGX2 has a built-in "macro" system - it allows you define 625 different macros, one for each rig in the 125 performances. Each macro can send any combination of MIDI commands. So with this approach you keep the Profiler as central place to organize performances, the LGX2 just acts as remote control for the Profiler, very similar to Kempers own Remote, but it can have extended control over any number of extra devices by using macro's which are triggered by the Profiler rigs. The 2 "Direct switches" give you direct access to another 2 banks of 13 switches. You could easily put looper control, taptempo, etc. in such Direct Bank - it's only 1 click away.

Another approach would be to program the Big Little Giant to control all connected MIDI devices the way you want, using multiple (up to 1000...) preset banks, each with 13 switches available. Then use 1 or 2 "Direct banks" for Profiler control (the Direct Banks are 1 click away from any of the preset banks). In this case you would program 2 of the switches in that Direct bank to scroll through Profiler performances, while the LittleGiant up/down buttons would be used in a standard way to scroll up/down LittleGiant banks. This approach adds the Profiler to the list of many controlled devices in your setup, as opposed to the first approach which rather keeps the Profiler as the "master",

• There's lots of different ways to set up a Big Little Giant. One possibility is to go for the "maximum integration" with the Profiler, by using the approach described in the Links section of the Gordius website. In such setup, you actually don't need more than 1 single bank to control the Profiler (which is used in performance mode) : you get 5 slot switches + 8 stompbox switches, and the up/down buttons are used to browse through performances. The LGX2 has a built-in "macro" system - it allows you define 625 different macros, one for each rig in the 125 performances. Each macro can send any combination of MIDI commands. So with this approach you keep the Profiler as central place to organize performances, the LGX2 just acts as remote control for the Profiler, very similar to Kempers own Remote, but it can have extended control over any number of extra devices by using macro's which are triggered by the Profiler rigs. The 2 "Direct switches" give you direct access to another 2 banks of 13 switches. You could easily put looper control, taptempo, etc. in such Direct Bank - it's only 1 click away.

Another approach would be to program the Big Little Giant to control all connected MIDI devices the way you want, using multiple (up to 1000...) preset banks, each with 13 switches available. Then use 1 or 2 "Direct banks" for Profiler control (the Direct Banks are 1 click away from any of the preset banks). In this case you would program 2 of the switches in that Direct bank to scroll through Profiler performances, while the LittleGiant up/down buttons would be used in a standard way to scroll up/down LittleGiant banks. This approach adds the Profiler to the list of many controlled devices in your setup, as opposed to the first approach which rather keeps the Profiler as the "master",

Wow, from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Thanks, Xavier, I only recently came to know that the brains behind the U4K chips was also responsible for the Little Giant.

I had a few questions for you:
    1) If I navigate to a direct bank from one of the banks accessed using the up/down switches, how do I go back to the non-direct bank I was accessing? Merely a question of hitting bank up/down again?

2) Those one-cable boxes that you make seem pretty nifty and I was thinking of picking up one. Then I realised it's out of stock on your website and there's no way to get on a wait list. Have they been discontinued indefinitely?

3) I noticed that you have discontinued the regular Little Giant as well as the Little Giant Module on your website. Plans to come out with some new generation device?

• how do I go back to the non-direct bank I was accessing

Press "D1" to go to Direct Bank 1, press "D1" again to return to the bank you were accessing. Same for "D2"

Have they been discontinued indefinitely?

Yes. I still have plenty of them in stock, but shipping from Belgium is just too expensive for such low cost items. If you're located in EU, just email me, I can send you one. You will need to open up your LGX2 and reconfigure it for "2-way-communication", I can give you more info through email.

Plans to come out with some new generation device?

Sure. But it won't be just another MIDI footcontroller. Might become something very interesting for Profiler owners though... would allow to add extended control of multiple MIDI devices to a current Remote + Profiler setup (or UnO4Kemper-FCB + Profiler setup). Will probably be launched later this year through a Kickstarter campaign.

• That sounds fantastic, thanks for the information. I live in Singapore, so it is probably going to be cost prohibitive for me to order one of those one cable solutions from you.

I found some sort of product that claims to be able to do the same thing on ebay. Could you please take a look at this and tell me what you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapte…e020c1:g:BBwAAOSwLVZVtmqQ

• Yes, that looks very interesting. If I had known about this seller I would not have gone through the hassle of creating something myself (with Belgian low volume labour/shipping costs...) I will definitely get in touch with him next time I need some special MIDI wiring solution for our products.

• Yes, that looks very interesting. If I had known about this seller I would not have gone through the hassle of creating something myself (with Belgian low volume labour/shipping costs...) I will definitely get in touch with him next time I need some special MIDI wiring solution for our products.

Sorry, I missed this reply. That sounds like a positive response, so I'll think about getting one. Would I still need to open up the LGX2 and make a few adjustments?

• Hey, I have a LG2 as well. What does that cable (the ebay link) do? I don't see any description of what it does on the auction page.

• Hey, I have a LG2 as well. What does that cable (the ebay link) do? I don't see any description of what it does on the auction page.

I bought one, it's pretty cool. What you do with it is connect two five pin midi cables from the Kemper to the in and outs of the connector. Then you connect a 2.5mm barrel power supply to the provided jack. After that, all you have to do is hook up a seven pin midi cable from the other end of the connector directly to your Gordius and you get two-way communication as well as phantom power.

Sure eliminates the need for multiple cable runs and nicely neatens up things.

• Hi
    I'm a gordius user and I just noticed that it isnt showing all the active stomps on first press of the rig button but does if I press it again. Kemper is on latest firmware and gordius is on 3.25
    is anybody having any issues or is it just me? Hopefully it's just me and it's just a dodgy midi cable or something.

I'm only seeing this in performance mode and I'm using the kemper gordius integration setup

Thanks
    Ferg

• Hi Nightlight
    Just the LG kemper integration setup from gordius site. If yours is working its probably just a cable issue on my side.
    I hadn't noticed this issue before updating the kemper and I thought possibly something in the firmware had changed regarding midi

Thanks
    Ferg