Getting clicks and pops with Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen

• I just set up my Focusrite 6i6 with the Kemper using spdif. If I select hardware outputs (spdif) all is fine (it's pretty much just passing the Kemper through the speakers), but once I choose to output through the DAW (Presonus Studio One) it becomes a mess.
    I have the Focusrite set to spdif clock and it's locked to the Kemper. I've also tried various other settings, block sizes, and whatnot, but it's all the same.
    Here's a short audio sample https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoux…8/SnapCracklePop.wav?dl=0 (this is a mild example, it gets worse).

I have a pretty powerful PC, so shouldn't be an issue there. And I was recording just fine through analogue before.
    Any ideas?

I've done a search, and thought I found my answer here spdif clicks and crackles again, but still no luck after following @Verminante's advice.

• Have you tried using USB thru daw , might be a way to see if you are still getting the pops and raising the buffer size as well. Just to see if it's universally clicking and popping, I have the 2i4 2nd gen and it works great with reaper, but I am strictly using USB .

Also, I think you can download reaper for free trial, test it thru that Daw and see if you get the same results.

I don't use Spdif, so I can't really help there, but just some ideas I had. Hope you get it sorted

• Have you tried using USB thru daw , might be a way to see if you are still getting the pops and raising the buffer size as well. Just to see if it's universally clicking and popping, I have the 2i4 2nd gen and it works great with reaper, but I am strictly using USB .

Also, I think you can download reaper for free trial, test it thru that Daw and see if you get the same results.

I don't use Spdif, so I can't really help there, but just some ideas I had. Hope you get it sorted

I'm not sure I understand the USB thru DAW part. Do you mean testing audio without the Kemper? In that case there's no clicking/popping.
    I did just test through Abelton Live right now, and there didn't seem to be any problems either. So it seems like maybe it's a Studio One problem rather than a Kemper+Focusrite issue. Maybe, possibly.
    I don't see any options in Studio One that would make a difference, but I very much prefer it, so not sure where to go from here.
    Thanks for the help though.

• There's three main reasons for clicks and pops that I'm aware of:-

1. If you're using spdif from Kemper to computer, you must make sure that your sound interface is using spdif for the clock. The Kemper likes to be in control and if it isn't you get clicks.

2. Your buffer size in studio 1 is set too low. I'm not in front of mine right now but if you go to the help file in there it'll tell you exactly where to find this. Basically, if the buffer is too high then you'll 'feel it' when you play. If it's too low, you get clicks and pops.

3. CPU spikes in studio one. Any daw can have this but on my pc the latest version has bad cpu spike issues which cause this. Just a few of 'the wrong vst plugins is enough to cause this for some people and it's not just pc related..... I can have reaper open with multiple vsts on each channel and it won't bat an eyelid. Studio one, much as I love it, starts to complain badly wit far less work to do.

Hope this helps. I'm betting on #2 being your culprit but could be any of the above or something I've not thought of.

• Hi @Gary_W, thanks for the suggestions.

I do have spdif for the clock, but I've also tried setting it to internal. Same outcome for both.

I've also raised the buffer, but it didn't make a difference. If I record analog I can actually go as low as 16 without a hiccup. I normally have it set to 32, but I currently have it set to 128 and have tried much larger settings. Pops and clicks don't increase or decrease when I make those changes either, so at 32 I get the same amount as with say 512.

I think it must be a Studio One issue like you say. Though it's not showing any CPU spikes in the performance monitor, it's not handling something well. I've been testing against Abelton Live and have no issues with Abelton. I have the buffer set to 32 there and it's working no issues.

One thing I just noticed that's worth mentioning. With Studio One (this doesn't happen with Abelton) it gets much worse if I switch windows to use say Rig Manager or something else. So you may be right that it's not handling processes well.

@Michael_dk,

I'm monitoring through studio, input monitoring, yes. If I monitor directly from the interface it's clean, but still there on the recordings.

Hi @skoczy,

I actually found your post yesterday when searching for a solution. Thanks, I just didn't have any luck with it.

It's becoming clear that my issue is to do with Studio One.
    I think I have to start searching for a new DAW, which is unfortunate because I really like Studio One. I really like how easy it is to quantize and set everything up.

• Just had a play on mine as I was getting spiking on a few of my Slate plugins.

I upped my buffer size a little - now set at 96 and it's working fine.

Reason I'm posting back? My (non-clicking system) in Studio One also shows that 32 bit depth. It's bit depth, not sample size and it's to do with the internal engine on Studio One I believe. I cannot actually seem to change this from 32 on my system. Thought I'd mention that before the OP spends hours trying to figure out how to turn that off!!

There is another suggestion out there to do with Bios on the PC but, as with anything in the BIOS do not go doing this if you don't know what you're doing!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.