For Recording - Main Out or Speaker Out?

• I am planning to buy a Kemper Power Head profiler, to be used primarily in a recording studio situation.

Is there a standard for the "best" way to record? Should I use the speaker out put and mic the cabinet like I'd do with a standard amp? Or is it better to just find or create a good profile, and use the main outputs to go right into my console?

If I chose to go direct into the console, should it be before or after the preamp in the signal chain?

Thanks!

• I use the "monitor" output into my interface and use the "direct" output into my frfr for use as my guitar cab in the room. You can also use digital out/in if you want to, or use the "main" outs if you want a stereo effect. For me, using the monitor out gives me a more traditional feel of recording with a mic on a cab, especially if you turn off " pure cab" which is designed for more of a in the room effect.

You could mic a cabinet if you want, especially if you use direct profiles, and want to capture a certain cabinet.

There is no right or wrong, it's more about finding what works for your project.

I have a non powered Kemper , but there is no harm in getting a powered one if you want that versatility.

• Thanks guys. I may eventually play shows or want to use with a cabinet, so I think the Powerhead is a better option for me. I know I could get an external power amp, but while I'm spending all the money, I figured why not spend a little more :)