Kemper vs. Real Amp Test - Cameron CCV

• Another blind test. Which one is which in a mix:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hi @ColdFrixion,

It is great of you to take the time to do these blind comparisons...and they are much appreciated. However, this is still two clips, giving the listener a 50/50 chance.

Is there any possibility you might add to the difficulty...although this will entail some additional work/time on your part.

Could you make a soundclip that features TEN (10) identical tracks, with five (5) being the KPA and the other five being the reference tube amp. Then, randomly splice the ten tracks into a single soundclip. Simply make a record for yourself of the order you have placed them. You can use a random number generator to determine which position to assign the tracks.

As an example, the finished result might end up being something like this:

KPA --> KPA --> Tube --> KPA --> Tube ---> Tube --> Tube ---> KPA -->Tube --> KPA

Then, let's see how many here are actually able to discriminate and identify the order, with no errors.

Again, just a suggestion.

Cheers,
    John

• Sure, I can do that, though I doubt anyone would stand a fighting chance unless there were markers indicating the break in each section. Is that what you're suggesting? Markers (eg. 1, 2, 3, etc.) to identify each section?

• Sure, I can do that, though I doubt anyone would stand a fighting chance unless there were markers indicating the break in each section. Is that what you're suggesting? Markers (eg. 1, 2, 3, etc.) to identify each section?

Yes, a break between each section. You don't necessarily have to put a physical marker...you can just leave a two second gap (silence) in between each section.

Cheers,
    John

EDIT -- You might even consider starting a brand new thread, dedicated to this exercise. You could put a link to it, here, in this thread. If I may add one additional suggestion...
    I recommend you wait until you have at least 20-30 responses (guesses) from forum members...especially those who self-identify as having "golden ears", before you divulge and release the answers. :D:thumbup:

• 1. Mic a cab,
    2. Create cab IR,
    3. Make a profile with this miced cab,
    4. Then use some DI,
    5. Reamp DI with few real amps (diff) amps
    6. Reamp also with Kemper profiles (still same mic pos)
    7. Try diff Ampsims or Axe FX Helix etc with cab IR from step 2.
    8. Blind test KPA > Ampsim > Real Amp > Axe > etc...

All samples with same cab part.
    You can be very suprised :D

Stay Metal!

• Hi Gregorz,

Good advice for a future project and future thread. However, I would cordially suggest we keep this one simple, and let @ColdFrixion concentrate on simply creating a direct comparison between the KPA and a reference tube amp. After all, this thread is predicated on the perceived "limitations" of the KPA, and it's ability (or lack thereof) in creating a profile that is indistinguishable from the original, reference tube amp, in a recorded soundclip. I, for one, am very keen on seeing if the "golden-eared" members can successfully pickout the KPA from the tube amp, with complete accuracy (no errors), when the sample size is 10 randomized sound clips.

• Check the new thread for the clip.

• Just as a note: my 12 year old sister (who I have trained into a kpa expert, whether she likes it or not) can tell which is the Laney and which the Kemper in a live a/b test. Why? Because she's learned what to look for -- the Kemper will lack certain mid frequencies and be tighter, more boxy and more congested in the low end. Playing the holy diver riff and she can tell 9/10 takes.

BUT.. I can confuse her if I change my playing quite a bit. Straying away from power chords and metal riffs and she can hear less of these "kpa" characteristics. Point is: I am sure that in a case where the profile comes out close to its best, and the playing tends not to emphasize the spectrum where the differences are more prominent (even if they can be heard elsewhere too) and the listener can be fooled.

I do think you need to be profiling amplifiers to truly appreciate the differences as well as as similarities. That said I will listen to the test and see if I can tell which one is which. If I owed the amp I'm pretty sure it'd be easier.

(This is not to engage in "golden ear olympics". All I am saying is... since some of us perceive big enough differences there may be an issue here that could be addressed.)

Btw: pod profiling coming up in video. No blind tests but I'm pretty sure you will hear the same differences as the Laney amp , those interested. I am also doing a test with profiling the Laney at different power stage volumes.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• And somehow my phone makes text bigger . Sorry about that.

• Hi Dimi,

Hoping you would consider participating, and taking the test that @ColdFrixion posted as a new thread, here:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…?postID=364105#post364105

Yes, I will listen carefully when home. But point is even if I get it wrong (along with others) I still think what some of us perceive as a big enough difference when profiling our own amps can be addressed (or have some advice on how to get closer results if possible).

• Yes, I will listen carefully when home. But point is even if I get it wrong (along with others) I still think what some of us perceive as a big enough difference when profiling our own amps can be addressed (or have some advice on how to get closer results if possible).

Fair enough, Dimi. No one is putting anyone up against a firing squad, here.

Cheers,
    John

• Yes, I will listen carefully when home. But point is even if I get it wrong (along with others) I still think what some of us perceive as a big enough difference when profiling our own amps can be addressed (or have some advice on how to get closer results if possible).

This was the direction of the thread until all this bullshit took over.

I couldn't care less if @sinmix could identify a recording of a trumpet or a fart out of my ass.