Using guitar cab and CLR question

• I know you are supposed to check monitor cab off to use a cab with a powered Kemper and sending XLR to the house so that the Sim cab will be used. Today I have my Mesa cab connected and monitor out to my CLR with a 1/4 inch speaker cable but with the 1/4 inch cable and monitor off checked the sound through the CLR is buzzy unless I uncheck monitor cab off. Everything works as it should when using an XLR cable with the CLR though. Why is this?

• I know you are supposed to check monitor cab off to use a cab with a powered Kemper and sending XLR to the house so that the Sim cab will be used. Today I have my Mesa cab connected and monitor out to my CLR with a 1/4 inch speaker cable but with the 1/4 inch cable and monitor off checked the sound through the CLR is buzzy unless I uncheck monitor cab off. Everything works as it should when using an XLR cable with the CLR though. Why is this?

The XLRs are part of the MAIN Outputs, and are thus not affected by the "Monitor Cab/Off" option in the Output menu. "Monitor Cab/Off" only applies to the signal routed through the KPA's Monitor Output jack...or Speaker Output jack, for powered KPAs.

• I am trying to get the settings correct for XLRs to front of the house, Kemper power out (red output) to traditional cabinet, and monitor out to Atomic CLR. Unless I unchecked "monitor cab off" the CLR output changes to a buzzy sound.

• I am trying to get the settings correct for XLRs to front of the house, Kemper power out (red output) to traditional cabinet, and monitor out to Atomic CLR. Unless I unchecked "monitor cab off" the CLR output changes to a buzzy sound.

The tricky part here is that the speaker out and monitor out are both affected when you select "monitor cab off". You want the cab turned off for the traditional cabinet, but you don't for the CLR. What this means is you can't run the CLR through the monitor out while using the Mesa cab from the powered out (well, you can, but you'll encounter the very situation you're currently struggling with).

Possibly re-configuring the direct out to post-amp/effects (don't remember which options are available for this output) and running the CLR from that jack will get you there.

@BILLIAM666,

As mentioned in prior post, with the powered KPAs, the Speaker Output Jack and the Monitor Output Jack are both internally linked within the KPA. Therefore, whenever you disable the Cab (i.e. "Monitor Cab/Off" in Output Menu"), the cab sim is disabled on both the Speaker Output Jack and the Monitor Output Jack.

Obviously, you want to use your powered KPA's Speaker Output to connect to your traditional guitar cabinet (Mesa Cab), and you will want to disable the Cab Module/Sim, using the "Montior Cab/Off" feature in the Output Menu. However, this means the Cab Module/sim will also be off on signal going out the Monitor Output Jack. So, don't connect your CLR to the Monitor Output Jack. Instead, connect it to the Direct Output jack (1/4" connection), and configure the Direct Output as "Master Mono" in the output settings. The Direct Output jack will send the full studio profile signal to your CLR, with the Cab sim active.

That should solve your connection issues.

Cheers,
    John