Blown my Kemper

• So...you don't even have to unplug from the wall socket even 'though the protector itself is off due to your having turned everything off at the wall, Sonic?

Whenever I hear a storm coming, I unplug everything from the wall sockets. No protection yet unfortunately. Always thought it didn't matter whether or not anything was turned on when lightning hit, and that decoupling altogether from the wall was the only way to go.

Obviously I'm no expert; any advice is appreciated, mate.

I still unplug everything just in case, but the official electrical safety agency in Finland(TUKES) advices that in a city it's not needed since the surge from a lightning is divided by so many households it'll be harmless. In the countryside it's a different matter. I bought myself a 10 euro surge protector from the hardware store just for the kemper too.

• HI all,

My kemper got blow as well. I was plugin the power cable and then turn on the wall socket power.
    Suddenly "Pop" sound comes out. I cannot turn on my kemper at this moment. I believe the Kemper PSU is died...

I am calling the service centre soon, to check can they fix it or not

• Solved,

My Kemper amp has been fixed by Innovative Music which is Australian Certifier Repair. My Kemper powerhead has passed the warranty, which is bought in 2013.
    The turnaround time is only 1 day. The issue was the power supply broken down.
    In addition, since my Kemper bought in 2013, there it should be the early version. The Innovative Music also installed CPU PCB restrainer to the unit.
    Really appreciate the Innovative music - Scott helps.

"Explanation:
    The CPU PCB is a separate board that fits into a a connector on the main board, much the same way a memory fits into a computer.
    On early Kempers’, the CPU board had a tendency to pop out of its holder and rattle around inside the unit.
    This was particularly evident for units that toured a lot and got a lot of bumps along the way."

The cost is not really much.
    $20 - AUD for the KEM_PSU PSB ( I guess it is the power supply unit circuit board)
    $80 - AUD for Labour ( Australian Labour cost usually more expensive than other countries)
    $20 - AUD for shipping ( From Melbourne to Sydney)

Hopefully, it helps other Kemper Users. I have bought the surge power board, hopefully it will avoid the same thing happen again.

Edited once, last by lune ().

• Good reminder for everyone. If I am playing live, I always bring along surge protection. But, around the house, I just plug into the wall in the office or the jam room. Whoever recommended the Zero Surge products, I just ordered one. Small and compact. Thanks.

• I still unplug everything just in case, but the official electrical safety agency in Finland(TUKES) advices that in a city it's not needed since the surge from a lightning is divided by so many households it'll be harmless. In the countryside it's a different matter. I bought myself a 10 euro surge protector from the hardware store just for the kemper too.

Who ever said that lightning is redisributed among all houses equally, just doesn't understand. Lightning does what it wants to. 20,000 to 100,000 amps says I'm right about lightning going and doing what ever it desires. ;) That said, proper grounding helps along with good surge protection. There however are no set in stone rules with that many amps in one place released all at once.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• So... best to unplug if you have no spurt... I mean, surge protection, just as in sex, spikey? :D

It's no bother, really. I've unplugged everything for 30 years the moment I hear thunder. It's only 3 sockets which are unfortunately tough to get to, but I just think of what I'd stand to lose (no insurance) if something blew, and that makes it doable.

Yup. I've banged on about Steve and his business, as well as his tech who happens to know the Kemper very well, for a couple of years here on the forum.

It's great to see confirmation of this service 'cause I've known Steve for probably 20 years, but when I say on the forum that someone should call him, as I have, it's just words.

Innovative is 10 minutes up the road from me, which must be a fluke, surely? At any rate Steve, his wife, tech and the business rock. Fantastic to hear that they sorted you out so cheaply and promptly, lune!