issue with pedal pitch since last official FW release

• I have been using the pedal pitch effect successfully without issue until the latest release.
    now i have noticed a bug-
    i have heel pitch at -1 and toe pitch at 0. my expression pedal usually rest at 100% so when i "engage' this effect slot pitch is neutral and the pedal at toe position ready to bend down the pitch.
    But as soon as the expression dips below 100% the pitch jumps to the heel value at which it will bend the pitch up the remaining percentage i moved the pedal.
    I now have to move the pedal ALL the way to heel position before i can bend the pitch back up to neutral then the pedal works as expected.

This came as a major clanger at a gig the other night when i engaged the effect and the pedal crept a touch under toe-position and delivered an out of tune chord. not nice!!!
    wasnt until i got home i discovered this bug.

EDIT: Also noticed it doesnt matter what values the heel or toe are, any slight movement from 100% (toe-position) to just under (99%) and the audio steps immediately to the heel value. Thus, requires the user to then move the pedal ALL the way to the heel position to regain control of the effect.

anyone else comment or able to reproduce the fault?
    now sending ticket to support...

• Video demo for better explanation

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Be interested to hear how others use their pedal pitch effect and if they've noticed any differences in the latest fw

• We have identified a software flaw, but to make everybody aware, you are only affected by this issue, if the following two conditions apply:

1. no dedicated Pitch Pedal, but a WahPedal or MorphPedal with the Pitch Pedal controller linked to it
    2. Pitch at Heel is not set to 0 in the Pedal Pitch effect.

If you use a dedicated Pitch Pedal its current position survives a Rig change and is immediately applied to any Pedal Pitch effect.
    If WahPedal to Pitch or MorphPedal to Pitch is used, it's also fine as long as you use the heel position as starting point for your pitch travel.

• We investigated this further and considered our options.

Because of an error we had initiated the Pitch Pedal controller at maximum during a Rig change if linked to Wah or Morph Pedal. This worked perfectly for you as the toe position is your base pitch. But that was never our intent. So we made the correction and are now initiating the Pitch Pedal controller at minimum during a Rig change if linked to Wah or Morph Pedal. This works best for most users and makes the Pedal Vinyl Stop work correctly. Unfortunately this creates a limitation for you, sorry! But we think, this is the best compromise for the majority of users.

So, I'm coming back to my original suggestion: Either you adapt to the other mode of operation with base pitch in heel position OR afford a dedicated expression pedal to control Pitch Pedal unlinking the controller from Wah or Morph Pedal.

• Thanks for your investigation into this.
    It is somewhat of a compromise, for myself, as only one song I use the pedal as a volume swell and another song as pitch bend, both having their neutral-values at toe position.
    I've reverted back to running fw v5.0.3 and all is well.
    So what was an error actually gave (me) a useful function ;)

could there be a future option to intiate to either min OR max during rig change so all users are then catered for?
    Thank you.

• i recall some fix being implemented a while back that allowed vinyl-stop pitch bends to work from toe to heel for those who wanted it that way round. does this mean that is now the state for anyone else who prefers this way round too?

Another solution that might solve this for everyone is that the pedal must be moved to its heel position before the effect engages rather than act immediately at toe position, thus avoiding an unwanted pitch jump upon rig selection.
    the Kemper team have always delivered options to suit all users and im guessing they are thinking really hard right now of a solution to cover all possibilities.

• The truth is, we are carefully considering any additional options, where users have to deal with an additional choice. This is always a trade off. One might fulfill the need of few while it adds complexity for everybody. There is probably a request for an additional option once a week. But we don't want to create "SAP for guitarists". And in this particular case, there is no real functional limitation. You would just need to adapt and use the pitch pedal in opposite direction and all the functionality is there.

Pedal Vinyl Stop has always worked from Heel (pitch=0) to Toe (pitch=-infinite). That is hardcoded and has never changed. However, one consequence of the erroneous initiation of Pitch Pedal at max was, that Pedal Vinyl Stop initiated with no tone.

Regarding the idea, that the Wah Pedal (or the Morph Pedal) picks up the linked Pitch Pedal controller at heel.... that is, how it used to work before 4.2.0. And it sometimes confused users. And in your case it would probably not work for you as intended, because you had to pull that pedal into heel position and at that moment your Heel Pitch -1 would take immediate effect.

If you are using the expression pedal only once for a volume swell and once for a pitch bend, have you considered to use the pedal as a dedicated Volume Pedal instead and control the pitch bend via Morphing and the Rig Buttons of the Remote? So instead of linking the Pitch Pedal controller the Wah Pedal, link it to the Morph Pedal controller. In the Pedal Pitch you set your Heel Pitch to 0 and Toe Pitch to -1. This way the pitch won't change during Rig load or effect activation. Subsequent hits on the Remote's Rig Buttons will now initiate Morphing including the linked Pitch Pedal. The timing of the bending can be controller with the parameters Rise Time and Fall Time in the Rig Settings. I personally find this method much more precise than using a physical Pitch Pedal.

• thanks for your comments and time looking into this issue, appreciated.

I was not aware that pitch could be a morphed parameter. Having had a bit of an experiment, i cant seem to make the pitch a morph variable.
    Please can you clarify what effect to use and how to set pitch to morph as this could be the solution i'm looking for.

many thanks again

EDIT:
    found it: in the system settings, page 5

• Yes, in System Settings page 5 select MorphPedal to Pitch instead of WahPedal to Pitch. If you want, unselect WahPedal to Volume and change your Wahpedal into a Volume Pedal on the following pages.

In your Pedal Pitch effect swap the Pitch values for Heel and Toe - the Heel Pitch is the starting point.

In the Rig Settings (of the Rig with the Pedal Pitch effect) on page Morph select the appropriate values for Rise Time and Fall Time. If you set Momentary the pitch shift will not latch and only last as long as you hold the button.

Now the Rig Buttons of the Remote will trigger the Pedal Pitch.

If you have unselected Rig Button Morph in the System Settings and therefore the Rig Buttons reload the current Rig instead of trigger Morphing, you could reassign one of the other buttons of the REMOTE e. g. the LOOPER BUTTON to become your global Morph Button. This can be done in the System Settings on the page Remote Settings, sub-page Button Assignments.

• ...one more question (sorry this is turning into an epic thread!)
    With reference to the latest FW, if my expression pedal is assigned to volume (heel quiet, toe full volume) what is the expected result if my expression pedal is in heel-position when i select a rig where volume is assigned to it? Will it jump to the quite value or do i have to move to toe-position before it takes effect?

thanks again

• With a dedicated Volume Pedal you always get what you see like with an analog volume pedal. The value of the Volume Pedal controller equals the physical position of the expression pedal and is maintained during Rig changes.

Functional variations could only be caused by varying settings for Volume Pedal Location and Range, if Volume Pedal isn't locked. If you for example select Volume Pedal Location "off" in Rig A, then this Rig will always be loaded with maximum Pedal Volume regardless where the Volume Pedal controller rests. As soon as you load the next Rig with for example Volume Pedal Location "Post Effects", this will reflect the level of the Volume Pedal position.