Multi Mic Profiling...worth it?

• I'm new to this and I know it's been talked about a lot but I went to respond to a thread and it was over 60 days old so an automated message told me to make a new post.

I've got a pair of Matamp/Electric heads plus one of my friends and some unique cabs and a lot of microphones so I'd like to make a bunch of good profiles. I normally do my recording through UAD Apollo's and I've looked up how people can do profiles with multiple mic's with it but before I get all involved in that...how worth it is it? Especially when you're multi-tracking guitars and layering stuff. Getting the right mics, right angles and placements and of course phase alignment all takes a fair amount more time with two mics and if seasoned Kemper folks say that you can really hear a positive difference then I'll push for that but if not then I won't. I don't want to make a bunch of profiles I don't need and since I have some of my gear at home and some at my rehearsal studio and I'd like to borrow some amps and cabs from friends to make some models it would be more efficient to have a solid plan going into this. I know that I might eventually have a different opinion than others and my own opinion about 1 vs 2 mics might change over time so I'm just looking for the most effective starting point to start making my profiles. Thanks.

“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
    ― Mark Rothko

• Hi and welcome! :)

Well, if you're not experienced in micing up guitar cabs, I'd definitely go with the single mic option and get that sounding as good as you can. Often that will be exactly what you need anyway.

Then, AFTER getting all the profiles you want, I'd try to put on a second mic just for fun and to learn - and then judge the results in detail later. Make a handlfull of profiles that way. Get the first mic to sound good, then judge what it may need (more fullness? more bite? etc) and try to obtain that from the second mic. If possible, it MAY be beneficial to EQ the mics against each other. Phase relationship between the two mics is essential

But it's exponentially more difficult the more mics you add to the mix if you're not experienced - that's what I hear anyway.

Maybe just start with the one and get your feet wet :)

• I have experience with recording guitars, I'm just new to the Kemper and profiling amps.

“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
    ― Mark Rothko

• I'm assuming I can use my monitor outs into the Kemper for the blended mic sound. I read the post on profiling through a DAW.

― Mark Rothko

• I was just going to use one of the monitor outs and have both mics mixed in the center I figure that way it would be like seeing a single mic source. I was also planning on using the UAD unison preamps on the way in.

― Mark Rothko