Researching Kemper Purchase - Advice

• Have been researching and learning about the Kemper over the past few weeks. Trying to figure out the best setup as far as guitar cab versus FRFR etc.

My equipment experience has been with Solid State & Tube amps early on, then played thru a Line6 AX212 for about 10 years starting back when they first came out (got spoiled from that amp with the footcontroller and calling up presets with everything amp,effects wise being on and ready per the preset), back to tube amps for about the past 12 years or so. Beyond the Line 6 AX212 from the past the only current digital product that I have any experience with is the Scuffham S-Gear software.

I really like the Scuffham software. The Steeler (Marshall Plexi Style) amp in particular sounds and feels pretty good. Albeit I am playing thru monitors and it does not have the balls or punch of an actual amp, but for recording works well for the ease of use.

My question is for the those that have a better handle on "amp in the room" versus "mic signal path"....If anybody has tried Scuffham S-Gear would that be what most would consider an "amp in the room" sound or would that be more like what I hear from people in the forums being a "mic'ed sound"?

Also, how would the feel of the Kemper be compared to a reference point of the Scuffham S-Gear which I have used quite a bit?

• Since you have played thru both, would the Scuffham be considered more comparable to a studio or merged profile tone thru an FRFR or would it fall more on the "amp in the room" experience?

Knowing that may help in the decision of whether to try to find a solution that sounds more like an amp in the room (guitar cab/poweramp) or if a FRFR approach with something like a Xitone Michael Britt cab or possibly a Gemini 1 or 2 approach. FRFR, but sounds like these may have the amp in the room flavor still.

• Pretty sure that I will be. It is just a matter of figuring out the best setup to go along with the Kemper. I know how the Scuffham sounds and feels (at least thru studio monitors). Just trying to figure out if I am more of an amp in the room player or if the mic'ed amp chain would not be too different than what I am used to with real tube amps and the Scuffham that I have been using lately.

• Since you have played thru both, would the Scuffham be considered more comparable to a studio or merged profile tone thru an FRFR or would it fall more on the "amp in the room" experience?

Definitely FRFR.
    Using closed- miked FR's with the Scuffham stuff is the archetype use case for FRFR.
    Kemper is the same, only better.

• I have a Gemini and it reacts very much like a traditional cab and gives you that in-the-room feel. Much of that is due to the coaxial design where PA speakers feel a bit more boxy to some. Based on my own experience I would definitely suggest the Gemini or XiTone stuff, but there are other solutions out there that have their own set of pluses and minuses.

Lots of thorough information in this thread:
    Which PA