Is there Information on total Powerdraw of the Kemper Powerhead?

• Long story short, i'm putting together a life rig. My Powered toaster will go into some kind of "tube head"-shaped case together with all the other crap one needs (wireless, drawers, lighting...). I want to ad a UPS to the setup. For several Reasons: Clean power through an online UPS, distribute Power to kemper, wireless and lighting with one plug to the stage. And finally to have a backup plan to the locations powersuply. Especially in noisy, light heavy environments, and smaller clubs, power delivery can be inconsistent at times. I just want to make 100% sure that, no matter what comes out of the wall or not, my kemper will have clean power.

For the UPS to work, i need to estimate the amount of power the kemper is drawing from the wall and for how long i want to sustain power in case of a power-loss. So, is there any information on how much wattage the whole powered kemper with enabled power-section is drawing from the wall? I currently have no means of measuring it :pinch:

• I don't have the answer you're looking for but I dug into this a year or two back with the thought of possibly adding a small UPS to my rack. I ended up not bothering and now just run a simple powerstrip that claims simple surge suppression protection (but i'm skeptical). Anyways,

Cut from the KPA tech specs:

---------
    ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS
    Line Voltage:
    Head/Rack 100-240V. AC, max. 0.5. A
    PowerHead/ PowerRack 100-125 or 190-245V. AC, max. 10. A
    Frequency:
    50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
    ---------

These numbers seemed helpful, but in the case of sizing a UPS VA rating they don't really go deep enough. The Kemper uses an internal switch mode power supply of unknown specs so "max.10.A" doesnt really help.

The only real way to get a decent answer is to measure the mains current draw on a digital regulated power supply with a precision built-in meter. Note the peak current draw in your particular use and go from there. No doubt the Kemper guys have done this, but again, their figures may not be helpful as the numbers could fluctuate wildly depending on how the specific KPA is being used and what it's connected to at the time.

In the end I moved away from the UPS route entirely as I came to the conclusion that an online UPS as a power conditioner was a great safety net, but in reality, was complete overkill and would just add un-necessary weight to the rig. A switch mode power supply (as found in the KPA) does a great job of handling driftng voltage and has plenty of filtering for noise etc. Never had any problems with the KPA inducing noise via power issues (obviously guitar pickup hum at the input is a separate issue). Severe undervoltage at the outlet would still be a showstopper without a UPS but I just quickly check the outlet voltage and ground connection with my cheap little multimeter before the show to make sure it's good (never seen one less than 100vac). If overall power does go out, the show would stop anyway. If it was just my circuit, well.. I have an acoustic guitar on stage so we could make it work while the breaker is located and plugs are shuffled around, 2nd fallback.... drum solo :P

Hopefully someone here has successfully run theirs off a UPS and can at least give an VA starting point of what is known to be good and what kind of duration they got running off batteries. Would be interesting to hear how it went.

Good luck!