Kemper to UA Apollo Connection Questions

• Hey Gang,
    I've previously connected my Kemper to my UA Apollo interface via unbalanced 1/4" cables and today have switched to hardwiring the two with short Balanced XLRs, Master Out to UA Interface Input Channels 1 / 2.

I've got the Kemper sending Master Stereo via the Main Outs and the signal is hitting the Interface very hot .... Even with the input trim on the Apollo all the way dialed down.

The best solution i can find thus far is to check the Main Out -12db in the Output settings and then crack the Master Output Volume all the way to 10 which hits the interface just right.

Just not sure if this is the optimum signal to noise ratio or if it's best to have the Apollo preamps doing a little of the lifting as wel

Any help on gain staging with this thing is greatly appreciated.

Cris...

• pbfoot, thanks for the follow up ... ok glad i'm not alone.

are you using the apollo input trim at all?

So far i left the -12 cut unchecked, turn the apollo trim all the way down and then just use the master vol output to adjust the level hitting the interface.

Seems to work for now until someone has a better solution.

Cris...

• i drop the output way back on the profiler, use the -12db and then adjust input trim on the ua to about middle. the kemper and the us work well, once you get the levels set. the kemper is really hot output

• I could be remembering this wrong, but I think the Apollo default setting for the XLRs is mic level, because I also have issues with the signal being too hot when using line level over XLRs with it (both Kemper and Helix).

• I've previously connected my Kemper to my UA Apollo interface via unbalanced 1/4" cables and today have switched to hardwiring the two with short Balanced XLRs, Master Out to UA Interface Input Channels 1 / 2.

The XLR input of my Apollo Twin are mic level and I had to use XLR on the Kemper side and TRS on the Apollo to get line level input.