The might and power of the 600W head

• Hi
    I almost fried my loadbox forgetting that the Kemper powrhead is rated to 600W output.
    How does one get this under control?
    No cabinet can withstand that amount of power I thought, so the danger of frying the load remains high.

Also, couldn't find this in the manual - does the impedance of the head need to be manually set or will it be suitable for any cab between 8-16ohm?

• Hi, if you're using the Kemper as a powerhead then you connect its speaker out to a cab (or cab sim loadbox) I'm using the latter.

I understand if not using the Kemper as a powerhead then no need for a load. But I am using it as such and running it to a cab sim unit. Either way, I'm not sure how people aren't concerned about the wattage output of the thing (600W!)

• Cab sims are actually kind of unnecessary with the KPA as the cabs are already really good (depending on the profile, obviously), but if you choose to go that route all you have to do is keep the output volume at a reasonable level. Amps don't produce their full output unless you have the volume control(s) maxed out, so keeping the KPA volume at 50% or less will give you far less than 600 watts at the speaker output.

• Ok, thanks...I thought this was the only way...

In this situation with running the Kemper as a head - do you need to set the impedance manually to match the cab? If so do you know where this is found in the menu?

• Impedance doesn't need to be set or matched with solid state amps, as they typically don't have output transformers where this is important. The only thing SS is sensitive to is going below its minimum safe impedance, which can cause overheating and component failure. The Kemper specs eight ohms minimum, but I've heard that four is safe as long as you're not really pushing it hard. So anything eight ohms or higher and you'll definitely be fine.