Bass advice: Axe FX Ultra or Microtubes 900 for bass?

• What is "to add a parallel path for DI signa" means?

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm of the opinion that the Kemper doesn't really work for bass.

I agree man, not because the kemper sounds bad but since it has the distinctive kemper sound, it is better for a mix to use another device ... but that is just imo ...

i tested and profiled some bass amps and the lebass by twonotes. But i was never ultra happy ...

if you want to use the kemper i recommend recording the di track simultaniously and the basscab i mostly use is my own "Vox Basscab"

but i recommend trying the boss odb3 it is used in the intro of karnivools simple boy
    and sounds awesome imo ...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and here is a a recording i made with the Vox Basscab profile (only cab is activated in the kemper) and the Boss odb3

External Content soundcloud.com

sadly it was impossible to profile the odb3 i tried it and it is simply not possible and sounds too much off

here are my profiles if you want to check it out
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s3c…4L9777OqzyTxD43wWS_a?dl=0

to your question

i used the axe fx ultra for years and never got a basstone i really liked ... you could try though to mix the dry signal in ...
    and the darkglass stuff is cool because it sounds barky BUT it doesn't have the bite like the odb3 so faster passages will sound clearer with the boss

• Thanks for the heads up on the Axe. I think my favourite bass tone has been when I ran my bass straight into a bass cabinet. It sounded Godlike in this djent band I was in. I never played in that band again (lol), but it was just a straight ahead tone. Not too much gain or anything. Just a straightforward bass tone. I would like to get that out of my Kemper.

In that regard, I think DI is not the way to go. I would ideally like to try some bass amps running through bass cabinets, miced up and then profiled. I have a feeling most of the profiles don't really go in this direction but are geared more towards DI style bass.

It is a bit frustrating and in the end, I have only myself to blame, with no way to profile the sound that I want.

But definitely for me a bass profile without the whole signal chain (amp->cab perhaps with a pedal in front) is just not useful. I don't want to use IRs for the cabinet because I think they are deficient.

Basically I want the Kemper that I have for guitar for bass. That will take some serious profiling to attain, methinks.

• hmm the only complete bass profiles i did are the ones i called doom machine and the mesa m2000 head of the bass player of my band ... but like i said the best tone i god was just the bass into the vox basscab that is not tooo coloured but still has more that amp feel instead of di ... i also profiled the two notes le bass have you checked these out ?

• I've used it for bass on several large shows and have never looked back. The opportunity to use the parallel path gave us the ability to not only have a huge bass sound but do some additional things like put an octaver (pog) in the path with gain to get the royal blood sound. It's the best bass sound I've had thus far.

One note, several of the default bass profiles did lack some low end but there are several great ones in the rig exchange.

• hmm the only complete bass profiles i did are the ones i called doom machine and the mesa m2000 head of the bass player of my band ... but like i said the best tone i god was just the bass into the vox basscab that is not tooo coloured but still has more that amp feel instead of di ... i also profiled the two notes le bass have you checked these out ?

Have downloaded all of them, thanks @Bommel. Will definitely try them out. Thanks for sharing!

• I've used it for bass on several large shows and have never looked back. The opportunity to use the parallel path gave us the ability to not only have a huge bass sound but do some additional things like put an octaver (pog) in the path with gain to get the royal blood sound. It's the best bass sound I've had thus far.

One note, several of the default bass profiles did lack some low end but there are several great ones in the rig exchange.

Have exactly the same experiance!

Thanks for the tip, maybe I overlooked something. Will go through them again.