Main monitors for homestudio

• Ok, I see your point. But do the woofers in the satellites have to "woof" if there's a subwoofer? As you've stated above the subwoofer compensates the lack of body. I don't get what will be missing in the frequency spectrum. There will be an 8" or 10" woofer in the systems. The only difference compared to nearfields with 8" woofers will be that there's only one woofer instead of two.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• The satellites' woofers will provide mid-range frequencies and a "top-end" definition for the bass. Without them, all you'd hear is the bass from the sub and a sprinkling of thin high frequencies from the tweeters. IOW, it'd sound like a major smiley-face graphic-EQ setting.

As far as the HS8s go, I wouldn't worry too much about their being placed close to a wall or even corners, 'Maniac. Just think of all the home-recording setups out there where space is at a premium and folks don't have much choice in the matter. Most monitors come with switches which allow you to tailor their responses to what they call "half-space" (15" or less from a wall), and "quarter-space" (in a corner facing outwards) positioning. I don't know whether or not the HS8s have this facility, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Also, and this is only my opinion, I think you'll be happier with the "truer" and arguably-smoother sound of your Kemper through the HS8s over both the satellite / sub and KRK setups.

• Ok, I slowly get your points. I think what's important is maybe the crossover frequency (is this the right term?). For the HS8's it is at 2 kHz, so lots if mids through the 8" woofer. For the Lucas Nano 600 it is at 175 Hz, so no mids through the woofer. Is this your point, Martin & Nicky?

• Yes sir :) Plus the fact that pretty much all low mids to bass (basically the EAD strings' base frequencies) will wobble out of a device called "subwoofer". I wouldn't expect to get any sort of "definition" or "clarity" or a convincing "attack" from a subwoofer. A subwoofer should be the guy responsible mostly for the very deep end, let's say it should be busy with 80Hz and below, mostly.

I'm just afraid that most of your guitar tone will end up squeaking from the tiny satellites. :D

• Agreed 100%, Martin.

If you can try a pair of HS8s in your room, 'Maniac, I say go for it man. In addition to the other positives I mentioned, they'll be less-complicated to set up and move than the satellite / sub combo, and most-importantly, they'll sound better!

• Thanks guys! The HS8's are not so expensive, they are even cheaper than the A5X. I can afford a little more, I think (let's say up to 1.000 €). Any suggestions for nearfields with 8" woofers, which are even better than the HS8's?

• Get a pair of HS8 and keep the extra money so you can add the HS8S (subwoofer) later, if you really want even more "woof" :)
    Or use the extra money to treat yourself with a DXR10 which will also add a massive amount of insomnia to the neighborhood. (Cheers to @nakedzen for the "V8 on a bicycle")

By the way ... Thomann has a VERY good deal on the HS8 speakers right now. Just 2 weeks ago they were 90 Euros more for a pair. No idea how long this deal will remain.

• The HS8's are not so expensive, they are even cheaper than the A5X. I can afford a little more, I think...

Yamaha has always been good value; don't let that fool you.

It's partly 'cause of its history / experience (been making speakers, for instance, for a very-long time), partly 'cause of its in-house R&D and manufacturing, and partly 'cause of the economies of scale (Yamaha is BIG).

• I'm not sure getting another pair of near fields is the answer since he wanted more spread and width in his stereo image when he's playing further away from the speakers. I'd go with mid fields for that purpose, but then again the size of the room will be an issue.

So in short I'd just get a pair of home stereo speakers since those are designed to be listened to further away. HS8's are designed to be at an arms length from your ears and wouldn't really fix his issue.

• I have pair of Mackie HR824 (8") as main nearfields and also Genelec 8020 (4") and prefer playing KPA through Mackies. I'm planning moving my home studio to another room and getting Neumann KH120s (5") there for try as they are not so demanding what comes to acoustics.

But whenever I can I prefer playing through pair of Atomic CLRs instead of the nearfields. They are like mix of studio monitors and PA - transparent, wide spread, powerful - if just not too big & pricey for OP.

• Thanks everybody for the new suggestions. I'm planning to put the new pair of monitors (not decided yet which) near the treated corners of my room. I think I can expect a wider stereo spread just because of this placement. The A5X I already own are placed more narrow in the typical stereo triangle.

I also already own an active CLR (cab) and it sounds fantastic, but a second one for stereo is a bit too much for me.

BTW: I had my CLR pole mounted for years but never was 100% satisfied with the sound. A few days ago I decided to put it on the floor, angled it upwards and switched the DSP to tilt. Even though I don't own a subwoofer I also switched sub to on (on the CLR) to get rid of the lowest frequencies. The sound is much fuller now, I think because of the floor coupling. It's also easier to get controlled feedback, so overall I can encourage everybody how owns a CLR to try it on the floor. Pole mounted it simply sounds too "airy" for my taste.