Choosing a headphone for use with KPA.

• Hi all,
    I am about to order my KPA (finally :rolleyes: ) and I am looking at ordering good headphone for home tweaking.
    As I not a big fan of closed headphone I think that I will go for this Beyerdynamic DT990.
    http://www.thomann.de/fr/beyer…e0df586c9c63f425a158559d6
    Has anyone tried this headphone with the KPA?
    Many thanks
    Pat.
    PS: A big thanks to all contributors on this forum who are sharing their feedbacks, tips and indeed profiles. I am looking forward to be part of the "KPA Gentleman Club".

• The DT990's are 600 ohm impedance. It'd be helpful to know what impedance the KPA kicks out, if anyone knows...

Somebody here was able to get sound out of a 4x12 connected to the headphone output... Must be high...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Also using the DT990. The headphone out has VERY much power. You can get deaf when you pull it all the way up and use the DT990.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Hi,

I currently have a DT770 600Ohms and there is enough volume even with the 600Ohm version. The 770 is closed and has some exaggerated highs, so I plan on getting the DT990 soon.

I did some thorough testing of headphones in a local music store and the 990 came out best to my ears at least. Very comfortable to wear.

Cheers,

Dote

Edited once, last by Dote ().

• Need to get one of those, my AKG K271mkII start distorting slightly.... I think I've managed to bust one of the drivers.. :(

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I am finally "Kemperised" :rolleyes: and have tried the DT990 but whilst it is great for clean sounds as soon as I have started exploring the chuga chuga rigs the sound is fizzy. I think that this model is too sensible for the high gain stuff. I took a basic Sony MDR and the sound is just perfect. :thumbup:

• And I thought I'm the only one having problems. I have the same AKG K271 MKII and it used to start distorting with my POD HD500 at quite low volumes already. But now with the KPA it's working quite good.

Mine is again fine, maybe I've just exagerated with the volume...

• There is an insane amount of info on head-fi.org if you want to go with headphones. Some of the audiophile nutters over there have compared nearly every product on the market (In Ear Monitors, semi-closed, etc)

The general consensus is you want a dedicated headphone amp to go with your headphone. If its your only means of amplifying your signal I would go that route.

I am perfectly happy with the headphone out on the Kemper as it is though. Way better than my other headphone outs (E-MU 0404, POD X3, HA-4700). You would have to spend quite some money to really notice a difference I would think.