Low to No Gain IRS Telecaster And Country

• Hi All,

The argument against the quality of using IRs in the Kemper vs a cab captured by the Kemper is great. I had long been of the thought that IRs are inferior to Kemper cabs as well.

As I have been making Kemper profiles for a while it just seemed obvious to jump into cabinet IRs for other devices as well. At first when I tried my IRs in the Kemper I thought they were horrible, and they were. But this was before refining my IR technique.

I am now convinced that IRs cab be just as good or even better than the Kemper cab if care is done when making them.

To start this off I have attached one of my rigs from The Old Modern pack with one of my IRs loaded. This is so you can import the IR via Rig Manager vs having to load the cab through a USB.

The idea is to load this rig, lock the cab and browse your rigs. This will allow you to easily try all of your existing rigs with the IR.

Here is a sound sample:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I had thought about how to approach the forum with this as it is kind of a taboo subject so I put the question to a good friend Bill Ruppert (whom you may remember, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ruppert )

Here is what he said:
    IRs are the way to go for me!!
    I have MANY amps that I love the feel of.
    Changing the IR or cab lets me keep the dynamic feel I love while changing the sonic footprint the amp has.
    So great for recording and getting a track to sit in nicely!

Anyway here is more info on the IR used:

http://livereadysound.com/prod…-the-clean-bender-ir-set/

Here is a link to the amp pack:

https://livereadysound.com/pro…rn-guitar-tones-expanded/

Best,
    Tim

• I definitely agree. It's about how good the IR's are, not some difference in technology that creates this massive gap between IRs and KPA cabs... You can even try kemper amp sim (disable cab or use direct profile, depending on where you stand on the effects of disabling kemper cab sim) vs axe fx amp through same cab simulation (even an IR made out of kemper cab) -- and there you see the difference between the amp simulation is not as massive as some way assume. In fact, few would be able to tell the difference. I can, in most cases, because I know how KPA tends to sound, Axe as well.

For me I do like using IRs with Kemper (or converting to kemper cab, but I prefer the IR). It's just that KPA is convenient and works a bit like an iphone, in some ways, so gives you right there great results with the right profile. Also some people make great profiles of great cabs. Do I think a properly made IR could beat the KPA cab? Perhaps it could be a hair better -- but convenience also has its value, which is why I often also prefer kemper than many other solutions, even using internal cab sim.

• Nice avatar @Dimi84 haha!

The following tones are not in my wheel house so I have a hard time judging them. This was a clip by one of my beta testers comparing the first test of the Blue to the other most popular Blue IRs out there.

I welcome any thoughts.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This clip had the IR loaded in the DAW. Will try to reamp with the same IR converted with CabMaker to see if there is a difference.

• This clip had the IR loaded in the DAW. Will try to reamp with the same IR converted with CabMaker to see if there is a difference.

That sounds really great.

I have done the cab maker vs original IR test. But not published yet.

Looking forward to yours.

• Same IR loaded in the same profile using CabMaker 2 to convert.

That sounds great. What amp profile did you use with the ir?

• Same IR loaded in the same profile using CabMaker 2 to convert.

The cabmaker one sounds a little bit more lively, but I'm listening on a phone with cheap headphones. I liked both.

• That sounds great. What amp profile did you use with the ir?

The Old Modern is a pack on my site that is an attempt to make unique sounds through any pedal I can get my hands on.

The profile used I believe is Buz V 006A. Which isn't exactly a clean sound but with the level real low for reamping it is...I am really rethinking my thoughts on IRs and the Kemper.

• The cabmaker one sounds a little bit more lively, but I'm listening on a phone with cheap headphones. I liked both.

In my headphones it seemed the IR in the DAW had more of an extended frequency response vs being a little more rounded in the Kemper. Preference is the key of course. Would be easier to hear a difference with the gain up.

• In my headphones it seemed the IR in the DAW had more of an extended frequency response vs being a little more rounded in the Kemper. Preference is the key of course. Would be easier to hear a difference with the gain up.

I was listening on $12 headphones. Probably not the best choice. I can leave them at work without worrying about them being stolen though =)

• would you mind sharing the results?

Close, but some perceptible differences (I don't wanna say too much here about that, but you will have test on youtube down the line where people can make their own conclusions anyway by listening to test, which is how I prefer to do things). That was with distortion and direct profile.

• Close, but some perceptible differences (I don't wanna say too much here about that, but you will have test on youtube down the line where people can make their own conclusions anyway by listening to test, which is how I prefer to do things). That was with distortion and direct profile.

As useful as that would be, I don't think I'd currently recommend any type of test unless you do it with an account that can't be linked back to your account here.