Kemper + dual neve preamps. What would you do?

• Hi,
    I have a kemper (unpowered) and will have access to a couple of neve 1073 clone preamps for one day only. I was thinking of utilising them in one of the three following scenarios but first thought I'd see if anyone can give me a quick pointer in the right direction (I'll have 20 songs to track!). My interface is an RME UFX.

1. Run the xlr left/right out of the kemper and straight into the mic pre's on both neve preamps. Then run the neves through the line inputs on the back of ufx and into the DAW
    Would this be doubling up on using a mic pre as they would have used one originally when micing the amp to make the profile?

2. Run the Kemper TS left/right outputs into the DI inputs on the neve preamps. Then run the neve's through the line inputs on the back of ufx and into the DAW

3. plug guitar straight into Neve DI input and then out through the ufx line inputs and into the DAW. Then later 'reamp' the recorded neve DI guitar back through the kemper digitally.
    I have already started the sessions in 96khz sample rate but will convert already recorded tracks into a 44.1khz session if this scenario will give me the best results.

I know the correct answer is to try all and A/B them which I will, but due to the time restraints any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Nick

• This is what I would do , but I dont pretend that my idea is the best ok? If I was in your shoes, I'd split the signal of my guitar on two outputs

Guitar----signal splitted in 2 (or boosted and splitted in two ... You get the idea, there is some pedals for that etc as long as you get two signals thats fine)

1- signal ONE is going to the NEVE then DAW on a track for reamping (like your no 3 point)
    2- signal TWO (you can experiment) but you know in the KEMPER in the NEVE in the DAW to track the profile sound

The advantage here is that you can track the KEMPER sound PLUS a track for re-amping later at the same time

So your SAFE ;) hihihi Good luck

• Following from the last idea, why not guitar into neve into kemper into daw. In daw record spdif with one track with the kemper profile and one track kemper Di?

Don't know if this is a good solution but then you get the reamp signal available still. Or could you take a main out of kemper into one neve with the profile and another out which is Di into the other neve and Di it that way.

So you could have the option of the neve either before or after the kemper quite easily and record both a profile and a dry Di for possible reamp.

• If the clones are anything like my old Golden Age pre73, you could use the XLR for a line connection also. That is definitely what I would do.

But if you have TWENTY song to track.... Man... Track that stuff beforehand, both DI and amped tones - and then decide which, if any, of those tracks need anything that the neves might give you. Prioritize them, and get a clear idea of what might be missing. You need to determine this beforehand so you can dial in the preamp to suit each track. This is, of course, also dependent on song and arrangement.

• Following from the last idea, why not guitar into neve into kemper into daw. In daw record spdif with one track with the kemper profile and one track kemper Di?

Don't know if this is a good solution but then you get the reamp signal available still. Or could you take a main out of kemper into one neve with the profile and another out which is Di into the other neve and Di it that way.

So you could have the option of the neve either before or after the kemper quite easily and record both a profile and a dry Di for possible reamp.

Yes, what Netheravon says is a good way too, maybe better. The important goal is to get a track for reamp , recorded at the same time than the Kemper profiles. I would add that this music ''marathon'' is hard musically. I would not focus too much on the Neve. Yes it add a nice touch but the hardest part here, in my humble opinion, is to rush on 20 songs and play good parts on each one. The magic often comes with 2 guitarist (or two overdubs ) that complement each others and that is not a question of Neve or not Neve. Get my point? Music first. Rushing on 20 songs with a Neve wont necessarely sounds better than if take your time, and no Neve, ex: with a second guitarist that create magic with you. you know its just a personnal view... I hope I make my point clear as english is my second langage LOL ;) Making a lot of TV music I experienced rushing a lot. Ex: Hey we need a salsa for tomorrow morn things like that. And I had to figure out how a salsa works and then compose one... It can create good music too when you have to rush. Good luck anyway

• I would do
    left and right -> neve pre > daw
    DI > daw
    Kemper Monitor output (master left on the master monitor output > daw
    SPDIF only wet stereo effects > daw

Now you have the option for pretty much anything you need

• Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm definitely going to take at least a mono kemper amp signal out of the kemper xlr and into a neve pre to see how much it adds to the signal.
    I was just wondering, If I use the other neve as a DI for the guitar and then go from there into the kemper, What would be the best input on the kemper to use to accommodate the line level out of the back of the neve? I've only had the kemper for under a week but am loving it. Had been using scuffham s-gear up until now but this is definitely a step up!

Also, since all of these profiles have been made using the guitar input on the front of the kemper (presumably), Could using a different DI into the kemper cause problems? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Nick