Setup question: SPDIF output volume seems extremely low, wrong setup for home noodling?

• Issue: My KPA SPDIF out sounds really quiet in my mix. I have to crank the volume on all rigs all the way up, and that still doesn't necessarily solve the problem. I suspect my setup may be to blame, so here are the details:

Setup:

KPA > SPDIF out > Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre > JBL studio monitors
    Macbook > Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre > JBL studio monitors

Use:

I'm not recording anything (yet) with the Mac, although I intend to in the future when I have time to learn the software. I'm simply using it to slow down/learn sections/songs, practice, generally noodle along to music or backing tracks, etc. All audio from the KPA and the Mac is controlled with the Focusrite Control software and running through the monitors.

So there you have it -- KPA audio is coming into the mix MUCH quieter than anything coming from the MAC, and the things I have needed to do to compensate for that seem wrong: jacking rig volumes to 100% on the KPA, raising KPA levels as high as they can go in Focusrite Control, lowering the Mac levels to extremes in Focusrite Control, etc.

Is my setup OK for what I'm using it for? Am I doing something wrong and/or missing something?

• Check the output source setting for the SPDIF output. If you have set it to Git/Studio you can use the clean sens value in the input menu to control the level of the signal.
    If you set it to Master Stereo you will be able to control the level with the SPDIF output volume parameter.

• Quiet compared to what's coming from the Mac? If you haven't attenuated the music somehow, it will be eating all the headroom there is...You need to reduce the level of the music and up your monitor volume instead.