Setting up KPA with Audio Interface/iMac

• Hello,

After months of research, watching youtube videos, reading this forum I am now the proud owner of a Black Profiling Head (non-powered)!

I am a man with simple needs and a simple approach to technology, so please do excuse my lack of knowledge in such matters but I have a fairly rudimentary question about setting the KPA up with an audio interface to my iMac.

Essentially all I want to do is have my Kemper sit on my desk, connected to my Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, with my monitors plugged into the back of my 2i2 and then a USB connecting to my iMac. However, I am not entirely sure how best to do this as I have read about the SP/DIF output on the Kemper and unfortunately don't have that input on my 2i2 so wondered whether I should buy an AI that has this input?

Or do I connect the Kemper using analogue leads into the front inputs of my 2i2? (which is how I used to connect the Line 6 Helix before I sold it!).

I want to ensure I maximise the tones I get out of the Kemper and don't want a poor setup to hinder that if at all possible!

Many thanks

• However, I am not entirely sure how best to do this as I have read about the SP/DIF output on the Kemper and unfortunately don't have that input on my 2i2 so wondered whether I should buy an AI that has this input?

Or do I connect the Kemper using analogue leads into the front inputs of my 2i2? (which is how I used to connect the Line 6 Helix before I sold it!).

I want to ensure I maximise the tones I get out of the Kemper and don't want a poor setup to hinder that if at all possible!

Welcome and congratulations!! :)

With regards to tone, there may be a difference due to the analogue stage of the interface before the signal hits the converters - but is it worse than using spdif? No, not really. Not necessarily at least. The difference (which may not even be noticeable to you, let alone another listener) may be sound better to you for some profiles - and for other profiles it may be the other way around. I doubt anybody is switching inputs based on individual profiles, so you may as well stick with what you already have. No reason to throw money at a problem that isn't really a problem :)

What you DO get is of course a slightly lower latency, since you are not going through the DA conversion on the Kemper and AD conversion in the interface. Since you're used to connecting the Helix via the XLRs already, you won't experience any difference.

SPDIF is generally easier to use for reamping (especially since you would have to disconnect one of the monitors to send signal back to the KPA through that ouput). But if that's not a huge concern to you, there's no reason to get another interface. Again, reamping is definitely possible using analogue ins/outs as well (it's what's been done for many many years using "traditional" amps - and you don't even need a separate reamp box when you have the kemper).

One thing to be aware: the XLR outs on the kemper are balanced, but the 1/4 inch outputs on the kemper are NOT. As far as I can tell, you interface does not support line level over the XLR inputs. So ideally (to eliminate noise), you'd use XLR to 1/4" TRS cables to connect the kemper.

Hope everything is clear and understandable :)

• Hi Michael_dk,

Thank you for your response which I completely understand, I will proceed on your recommendation which is how I thought it would work. Thank you also for pointing out about the XLR to 1/4" TRS cables, I definitely wouldn't have known about that!

Just for my own understanding, would you mind explaining what 'reamping' is? I have heard it referred to many times but no idea what it actually means?

Can't wait to get started on my Kemper!

Thanks
    Simon

• Just for my own understanding, would you mind explaining what 'reamping' is? I have heard it referred to many times but no idea what it actually means?

It's simply the process of taking a DI (stands for "direct injection") of the guitar while recording. Specifically, this means you record not only the output of the amp, but also tap into the signal coming directly from the guitar. So you record two tracks; one track of guitar amp, and one track of "just the guitar" - like if you had plugged your guitar directly into the interface. In reality, mostly you'd use something called a "DI box", which has a high input impedance to ensure the guitar signal gets "read" correctly. DI boxes have a "direct through" output, which you'd then plug into your amp via a cable. This "through" connection also carries the guitar output signal, so you can hear and record the guitar amp alongside with the DI track (note that you do not need a dedicated DI box with the kemper, you can set it up so one of the outputs on the kemper sends the "guitar only" signal to your computer).

I hope that was clear so far :)

Reamping, then, is the process of sending out this recorded DI track to an amp and then recording that amp. For this, you'd normally use the "inverse" of the DI box, which is called a reamp box (again, you don't need this when you have a kemper - see the reference manual, the chapter on "reamping").

This will allow you to re-record the SAME performance (as you have already recorded the "raw"/direct guitar track) with a different amp / amp settings / mic setup. More specifically, for us, it allows us to record the performance with a different profile - after the fact.

So if you've recorded something and you find out that you were unhappy with the tones a day after, you don't have to actually physically play it again.
    On the flip side, having the option can lead to second-guessing and third-guessing (etc. etc.) the chosen guitar tone. :)

• Awesome, thanks Michael. Reamping isn't something I'll be looking to do myself but useful to know what's involved, thank you!