Axe-FX and Kemper blind comparison (metal)

• hi forums,

i put up a quick clip comparing the kemper to my axe-fx using the rose of sharyn backing track that was posted in this forum. can't remember who posted it (Jeff, i think), but thanks anyway :D

so, one clip is a profile of my homebrew soldano clone through my diezel 4x12 mic'ed with a single SM57 on axis. no tweaking or post-processing. boosted with my maxon od808 pedal.

the other one is just the 5150 model on the axe with everything else bypassed. then i used ozone to match-EQ to get close to the kemper's profile. this one was also boosted with my maxon od808.

excuse the sloppiness :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39784119/KSE/1.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39784119/KSE/2.mp3

EDIT:

sorry for the confusion about 'no post processing'. let me explain myself:

my goal was to use ozone it instead of an impulse response in order to compare how close i could get with my axefx to the kemper profile of my rig. since i could create an impulse from that same match-EQ curve an load it into the axe, it's a fair comparison. both are the sounds as they would come out of the box.

mainly i wanted to compare how the 'static' nature of an impulse response compares to the kemper.

anyway, for those who care:

1 is the kemper

2 is the axe-fx

btw, it's an axefx standard (not II) ;)

Edited 2 times, last by kojak ().

• IMHO the fact that you have match eq'd to the Kemper makes no sense to compare....just my 2c

If you profile the Axe and then make a comparison, it has more sense...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Not sure I understand how you can say zero post processing when you have used Ozone EQ matching....makes no sense at all.

• i bypassed the cab on the axefx and then used ozone match EQ to capture the sound of the kemper's profile cab. since the AxeFX's IRs are nothing more than a static EQ curve, it's a valid comparison to capture use ozone as match EQ.

the point was to compare how both tones sit in a mix when EQ'd as similar as possible.

i can also post a clip using the axefx cabs using IRs, but the tone will be completely different. i know the best comparison would be to capture an IR of the cab i mic'd up, but i don't know how. that's why i used the kemper tone and match eq as a workaround

• I think you should make the comparison including also a clip of the real amp with the same settings. If not it is a bit pointless and btw like it was said before using ozone to match-EQ is exactly post-processing.

• kojak said : here is the sound of the axe2

he said you see, we can do the same with the kemper

he took kemper tools to make it sound like that of axe2

I don't understand where is the problem

• sorry for the confusion. i see your point about the ozone match EQ. it is post-processing of course.

my goal was to use ozone it instead of an impulse response in order to compare how close i could get with my axefx to the kemper profile of my rig. since i could create an impulse from that same match-EQ curve an load it into the axe, it's a fair comparison. both are the sounds as they would come out of the box.

mainly i wanted to compare how the 'static' nature of an impulse response compares to the kemper.

anyway, for those who care:

1 is the kemper

2 is the axe-fx

btw, it's an axefx standard (not II) ;)

• The only fair comparison would be if you include a clip from the real amp with the same settings and you compare both the Axe and the KPA to it.

#

i absolutely agree. unfortunately, i have to mic in the same room where i record (about 3m from the cab, small rehearsal space). no way i can record to a track this way.

if i could mic a real amp at home, i probably wouldn't own either unit :P

• I'd like to hear your amp profiled in a studio vs the AxeFx using different mics and testing just the amp, without boosting with the maxon. Probably, a big component of the sound you are comparing is just the maxon.

I my opinion, using just an sm57 at home captures a small part of the real sound.

Saludos!
    Paco

• believe, i'd also like to be able to profile my amp in a studio :)

boosting with the OD808 or the built-in 'green scream' can get quite close, actually. still prefer the maxon, though.