Kemper spdif to RME UFX

• Hi,

I just have a quick question and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have two 75ohm spdif cables to connect to the kemper to a rme ufx.

Can I use some sort of adapter on the end of these so that these cables can connect to the aes/ebu digital in out on the UFX? The ufx can be set up to send spdif out of aes/ebu.

Can I use two adapters being: xlr(m) and xlr(f) to rca(f) adapters?' Or do they need to be aes/ebu to spdif adapters of same?

Thanks,

Nick

• Hi Nick,

it might (or might not) work. There are cables with XLR on one side and RCA on the other side that are reported to work with RME gear.
    But keep in mind that AES/EBU via XLR has an impedance of 110 Ohms while S/PDIF is 75 Ohms. You'll do no harm to your interface but I can't promise it works ... especially for longer cable runs.

There's impedance transformers for exactly this use case but the ones I know are from XLR to BNC and vice versa ... not RCA.

Cheers
    Martin

• Aes/ebu uses different voltage standard which is higher than spdif. You may run into problems because of this, especially if you connect the interface output into the kemper digital input. Most likely the signal will be too hot for the Kemper. Over time you may even destroy the input because of the higher than intended voltage. Kemper output voltage level might also be too low for the AES to even register the signal. To get rid of this possible problem (you might get lucky and they might work just fine with a cable, all depends on how close the operating voltages on the two devices happen to be) you'd need a signal converter box between the interface and the Kemper, like Behringer Ultramatch.

More info at length: http://www.nu9n.com/images/AES3-SPDIF-notes.pdf