Using the Transpose Stomp for metal riffing - Part 2

• So a while back I did a video showing the transpose stomp being used to downtune riffs incrementally from E all the way down to F. That worked surprisingly well so I decided to do an entire song!

This song is in B tuning, and I recorded it with a guitar tuned to E. This signal was then sent back into the Kemper and reamped with the transpose stomp engaged.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Pretty impressed with the result! No where near as audible as I was expecting. Doubt it would be noticeable unless you knew beforehand or did an A/B. Kinda tempted to go harder with this and record some crazy low stuff.

• Wow.
    Thats awesome. Must to try it out tomorrow. E Standard have imo the best feeling, but A# or B Tuning the best sound for djenty stuff.

Should the transpose on the end of the signal chain or on the beginning???

• Thanks guys.

@martinkopp I put it as the first stomp in the chain so that it pitch shifts the clean signal before hitting the amp processing.

You can use the effect live whilst playing, but there is a slight delay making it feel a bit unnatural (unless they have updated this very recently), so I would only ever suggest doing this the way I did by recording it in E, and then reamping it with the transpose stomp engaged.

• Does anyone have experience with that vs Digitech Drop D?
    I find Drop D to sound more natural, although there still is a bit of latency (less noticable than Kemper transpose though).
    However Drop D brings some of gain down so amp gain needs to be compensated back - which I find annoying.

• I use the Kemper transpose for a couple of tracks live with just a semitone lower. It was hard at first with a slight delay, but you soon compensate and the tone is very good considering the processing that is going on in real time.

I also wondered if anyone compared this with the Drop pedal to see which has the greater latency?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7