Monitor crackle issues

• Hello

This isn't a Kemper profiler issue, at least I don't believe it is, but I wanted to get some advice from Kemper users that connect via Audio Interface into monitors.

When I use profiles with gain I often experience a crackling sound in the monitor. The volume is moderate, not loud at all, and the input levels on the audio interface are way down.

I use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 and Presonus Eris E5 monitors. Some of my settings could be causing a problem but wouldn't know why or where, and I don't believe it is a Kemper issue. Although if there are settings in the Kemper that might help then please let me know!

What I do find really strange is the input gain on my interface is basically down at the lowest point but I still get red lights which suggest it's clipping?

I'm thinking I might upgrade my interface and monitors, I've heard the Yamahas HS7's are really good.

Thanks
    Simon

• If the 2i4 has a switch for mic or line/inst, make sure it is on line. If it is on mic this could be why your input is so hot and clipping at such low levels. Which will cause the crackling you are hearing.

• Are you using analog inputs or s/pdif?

Firts I'd try to increase your interface buffer size.

I'm using analogue inputs. Is buffer size a general standard across all interfaces, I.e. Is there a specific size that is generally considered ideal, or is it adjusted to suit your own setup?

• If the 2i4 has a switch for mic or line/inst, make sure it is on line. If it is on mic this could be why your input is so hot and clipping at such low levels. Which will cause the crackling you are hearing.

hi, it is line/inst and I have it set to inst so I will change when I get home and see what difference it makes! Thanks.

• I'm using analogue inputs. Is buffer size a general standard across all interfaces, I.e. Is there a specific size that is generally considered ideal, or is it adjusted to suit your own setup?

Not really. It's best to try adjust it higher so that you stop hearing crackles but also don't get audible latency. It depends on your system what works. I have mine set to 32 samples fwiw.

Also one thing that can cause crackling is if you happen to be on windows, you need to check that enhancements are disabled. It's a checkbox you can get to by right-clicking on the volume image in your lower right, go to sounds. Then right click on your audio device and select properties. There you can find the tab enhancements.

• hi, it is line/inst and I have it set to inst so I will change when I get home and see what difference it makes! Thanks.

If it is set to line then all is good, you don't want it on mic. Not sure why you would be running that hot on your input with the levels set so low.

• You definitely do not want it set to "Instrument" level. That explains the red flashes and the clicks.

Ok, so I've set my AI to 'line' rather than 'Instrument' and have got no sound at all? I went to the Focusrite website and they advise it should be set to 'instrument" if connecting a guitar.

• Ok, so I've set my AI to 'line' rather than 'Instrument' and have got no sound at all? I went to the Focusrite website and they advise it should be set to 'instrument" if connecting a guitar.

You aren't connecting a guitar - you are connecting a preamp, with a Line Level output (the KPA).

You mentioned having the Inputs of the interface turned down all the way. Turn them back up, if you haven't yet.

Connect the two Main KPA Outputs to the two inputs on the front of the interface.

If you aren't getting input signal using XLR cables, use 1/4 cables. The Scarlet may expect a line level signal to be connected that way.

• You aren't connecting a guitar - you are connecting a preamp, with a Line Level output (the KPA).
    You mentioned having the Inputs of the interface turned down all the way. Turn them back up, if you haven't yet.

Connect the two Main KPA Outputs to the two inputs on the front of the interface.

If you aren't getting input signal using XLR cables, use 1/4 cables. The Scarlet may expect a line level signal to be connected that way.

Yes, I realised that after posting my reply so thanks for correcting me.

I turned the inputs up after switching to 'line' and had no sound. The two main KPA outputs are connected in to the front of the interface. I will either get some 1/4 cables or consider upgrading my Interface so I can connect via SP/DIF.

• Yes, I realised that after posting my reply so thanks for correcting me.
    I turned the inputs up after switching to 'line' and had no sound. The two main KPA outputs are connected in to the front of the interface. I will either get some 1/4 cables or consider upgrading my Interface so I can connect via SP/DIF.

Consider upgrading the interface, connect via SP/DIF. I find this way to be great, and it free's up your mic pre's.

The 2i, 4i etc from what I've read and heard are decent but don't offer enough flexibility and have issues such as this etc...

Motu or RME is good middle ground budget wise or UAD and Apogee which are considerably more but you get what you pay for IME.

8)

• Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.

I 'think' I've resolved the issue by switching the setting on my interface from 'inst' to 'line' and then increasing the gain levels. The sound is improved in so far as I can't make out any crackling in the monitors and I'm not 100% confident my setup between the KPA and my audio interface is correct.

I may still upgrade my AI and connect via SP/DIF at some point but no rush :)

Cheers

• Squrehead- Noting special and it doesn't change the sound, just an easy one click setting that reduces the output level so it doesn't slam the receiving speaker that can cause digital distortion. -20db is just as good, however if there is not enough level going to the pa speaker, you may get noise from the pa speaker because then it needs to be turned up louder for the sound to properly be heard. Balance is the key.

• Thank you Smitty, my only problem is that the sound coming back to my inner ear monitors from the PA is absolutely horrific, it is nothing like the sound when I plug my inner ears into the earphone jack of the kemper...
    The sound is very buzzy, And overly distorted… The PA is extremely high-end and the sound guys tell me everything sounds good… And I have heard my tone thru FOH, and it absolutely sounds monstrous, but I cannot play with the tone that’s coming back to my inner ears… Any ideas?