KEMPER INTHE NEAR FUTURE: Logic Pro X and UAD Apollo Twin MkII Users Unite!

• Dear KPA Forum Members:

I AM LOOKING FOR INSIGHTS FROM Logic Pro X AND UAD APOLLO TWIN MKII OWNERS/USERS:

I just joined the forum and I'm psyched I will be able to purchase a Kemper by the spring/summer of 2018. I've been visiting and reading your comments on this forum for a long time and I'm very impressed with the amount of knowledge and help on display! So I thought there would be no better place for me to ask for help in making my final decision.

Back story:
    I'm (was) considering the Kemper or the AxeFX and I'm leaning towards the Kemper because of the amplifier tones you can get with the Kemper and because it is easier/simpler to operate, thus leaving me with more time for playing and recording guitar rather then to keep twisting knobs and messing with tones. The price is also playing a part in my decision process. I've never played a Kemper or an AxeFX, so my thought process is solely based on youtube videos and forum research.

I'm currently in the process to updating my home studio and plan to use the Kemper for studio recording only. I have no plans in the near future to play live with a band again (I have small children and whole different set of obligations, I'm sure some of you can relate).

I have so many questions I thought I could break them into several posts. Thank you in advance for your insight and patience!

First question(s):
    1) Rack vs Toaster:
    - I'm leaning towards the rack version because I have a rack in my studio and the Kemper would fit in it nicely. The toaster could fit too but it would require purchasing a stand just for it. Keeping in mind that I will use the Kemper for recording at my home studio only, do you guys have a recommendation?

2) Connection:
    - I would like to ask your help in figuring out the best way to connect my Kemper to my DAW and computer. I use an Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo MkII into an iMac 2017. My DAW is Logic Pro X.
    - I would like to record everything at once. However, I need to record my guitars with the amp sounds separate from the effects, guitar sound/signal without any amp sounds or effects (to be used for re-amping purposes), and effects sound/signal separate from everything else. I saw the video on the Kemper site about recording 2, 4 tracks and 6 tracks. Which method do you use? Why? I think I need to use the 4 or 6 track method. First time user here, what kind of cables/accessories do I need?

3) Analog or digital set up:
    - Advantages? Disadvantages?
    - What's the difference between analog and digital recording?Which one do you recommend and why?

• I’m using audio inputs into an RME UFX into Logic. I need to record at 48k so using the digi ins and outs won’t work.

I’m just printing the parts with effects but no reverb. When delivering tracks that’s usually what the mixer wants. If I had to have my effects printed separately, I’d just use the plugin effects in Logic. That way I could route them and print.

Same with bass. The sounds in the Kemper are so good, I’m just printing the bass with a finished sound.
    I may start also printing a bass DI at the same time.

The only thing I’m really missing from the Kemper is the ability to save a small sysex dump for each patch on each track. That way if I have to recall the settings, it will be exactly what I used. Now I’m just saving patch names in the comments for each track

These profiles go to 11!

• I have a very similar setup - iMac, Kemper, Apollo 8p.

1) I'd go for the rack if you aren't moving the Kemper about, given that you have the unit to house it in. Plus you aren't touring with it anyway, so the Toaster form factor can be harder to fit with your existing setup.

2) You would need more inputs than the Apollo Twin provides, given that there are only two analog inputs, if you want to record six tracks. Also, I think you will be unable to use SPDIF too - the Twin has only got an optical in. For SPDIF to work, you need to hook up the Kemper with both SPDIF in and out. It doesn't work otherwise, unfortunately.

Before you get flustered, however, I'd just say that two analog inputs are all you need. After all, why record a stereo guitar track? Do one track, then the other.

If you use this method, you can record any two of these combinations.
    (a) Kemper output without FX, (b) Kemper output with FX, (c) Kemper DI

And that's pretty much all you need.

3) I haven't hooked my Kemper to my Apollo with SPDIF yet because I don't have the box to do so. As such, I've been recording analog. I don't see a difference in the sound. That said, recording with SPDIF is easier in your situation, since the Kemper is not moving and you don't have to keep changing connections.

• You can get an RCA to optical converter box for $10 on Amazon.
    You can record using just the digital out and the digital in unconnected. You only have to use the digital in and out when you’re creating a profile and sending audio to the Kemper from the DAW.

I like having the Toaster set on my workstation turned toward me. If it was in a rack it would be a pain for me to lean over and tweak it, so it depends on your setup.

These profiles go to 11!

• Hi guys -

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with your suggestions.

Here are my thoughts currently:
    1) Buy the rack version as it will stay put and I have rack space available.

2) I was starting to get flustered, thanks nightlight! I really don’t want to have to sell the Apollo Twin duo and buy another interface. If using the two analog inputs on the Apollo Twin is enough to record great quality sounds/tones then I feel more like buying the Kemper would be the right decision.

If somebody else wants to chime in about the way the record guitars using a Kemper, an Apollo Twin Duo and Logic Pro, please don’t be shy and let me know.

Happy New Year Everybody!

• You can get an RCA to optical converter box for $10 on Amazon.
    You can record using just the digital out and the digital in unconnected. You only have to use the digital in and out when you’re creating a profile and sending audio to the Kemper from the DAW.

I like having the Toaster set on my workstation turned toward me. If it was in a rack it would be a pain for me to lean over and tweak it, so it depends on your setup.

I'm not sure this is accurate. The last time I hooked up just one cable (because I was trying to reach with SPDIf but use analog outs for higher sample rates), the Kemper flashed a message that both have to be connected. I think Don Peterson confirmed this as well.

• Just to add that I've used just s/pdif out from kemper into my interface and it works fine to record - gives 2 tracks which you can control what audio you want on each track from the kemper in the output menu. Didn't need to have both in and out connected.

• Hi, great input here already but here are my 2cents...

1. The rack has the USB on the front & doesn't have the four led's under the screen. At home this doesn't matter but if you ever gig others have dis-liked it.

2. Call UAD support (toll free), and get their recommendation as to which optical converter unit to use. Why waste an awesome analog in?

3. No discernible difference in quality except 44.1k S/PDIF & 48k analog.

Cheers.

• In order to use the Profiler in a digital setup the external audio interface needs to be the clock sync slave. The Profiler sends the clock from its digital out. Therefore it is crucial that you use two SPDIF cables to connect both the input and the output of the Profiler with the audio interface if you want to do reamping over SPDIF.

Please read this advice from the Kemper team. It is not possible to reap without both connected. Perhaps there are some problems involved with timing, etc. The one time I tried, the Kemper gave me a clear message on the screen that I have to connect both input and output :thumbup:

• 1) Rack vs Toaster:

For me it's an easy decision ... if you have the space to put your Profiler within easy reach (which I would HIGHLY recommend) I would always go for the toaster. I absolutely love the additional features on the front panel like the 5 LED rings around Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence/Volume knobs and sometimes even the 2 additional knobs for the MOD slot (Rate/Intensity).
    I own 3 Profilers and already planning for the 4th next year .... all of them being toasters. I do have racks for various studio outboard gear, interface, etc. and that's all fine since these devices are pretty much setup and rarely need any adjustments. But on the Profiler I work all the time. Not so much deep editing but just a few quick tweaks here and there with my guitar. I don't have to bend down or move with my chair or even worse put my guitar down for all the small and quick tone adjustments.
    The toaster is more practical (for me) and it certainly looks better as well on my studio table. :)

2) Connection:

Get the coax/opt. converter so you can hook up S/PDIF .... I always do "Master Stereo" through S/PDIF and all the rest through the analog outputs. In your case with the limited inputs on your interface I would recommend "Git Studio" on the Direct Output and "Stack" on the Monitor Output.

Reasons for this setup recommendation:
    Of course you want to record exactly the tone you had dialed in on your Profiler. Since there is stereo effects on the Kemper it makes sense to record this in stereo. Perfect use of the S/PDIF (set to Master Stereo)

In addition it's highly recommendable to record a DI track, especially if you're not recording an entire band at the same time in a proper studio environment. As a guitarist with limited experience in mixing it's VERY difficult to tell exactly what your guitar tone should be like for the final, mixed song including drums, bass, vocals, whatever. It will happen quite often that in mixing stage you suddenly notice that you might want a little less (or more) gain or a touch more (or less) presence on your guitar tone. If you have the DI track, it's super easy to reamp with some tone tweaks. Don't ever miss out on this option! :)

Recording the "Stack" signal is a good idea as well because it's a mono signal anyway and it gives you the "dry" amp tone. Again, in the mixing stage it can frequently happen that you want to apply less delay, less reverb, less modulation (or more of them). If you have the dry amp tone recorded, it's very easy to either mix the dry "Stack" track with the wet "Master Stereo" ... or for example decide to just use the dry "Stack" track and build your own Mod/Delay/Reverb in your DAW.

I wouldn't worry so much about the lack of additional inputs for the "6 tracks" recording setup. You will quickly notice that you will pretty much never need the "wet only" stereo track to increase (the sum of) the Delay/Reverb. Typically we tend to add more delay/reverb when playing and recording guitar alone than we need in mixing with all the other instruments added.

Hope that helps. Cheers,
    Martin