levelling rig volumes with reference rigs

• There's many said about levelling output volumes of different rigs, but for me there are questions being left.

I've tried to level different clean rigs with a reference rig as a start. For this I used the AC Clean R121 as a start. It uses the Ace Voice thirty amp.
    The volume for this amp is set at 0.0. dB.

I use a ZED 22 fx mixing desk and watch the volume meters. They keep perfectly within the green area. Any use of the faders doesn't affect this so this a good starting point.

Now I try another random chosen clean RM-rig: another clean rig based on an total different amp with other settings and combined with fx a.s.o.
    This one is based on an JTM 30 amp, also with its volume set at 0.0 dB. Like the reference rig, clean sense is also at 0.0 dB
    But this one goes beyond green into yellow. Of course this rif has extra's (needed!) for a personal desired sound.

My point is: where to start to get that same output level as the reference rig? I'm sure I'm not condemned to only use the amp from the reference rig as there are many more clean amp examples. Cutting down fx or even delete them to decrease volume can' t be the solution. And I guess this goes on and on if you have a bunch of fx in that rig...
    So that becomes a puzzle where and how to find the bad boy which is responsable for the problem. I can't find anything about that in the reference manual 5.1.

The only thing I cant think off is misleading by the comment in RM saying CLEAN (which still might contains a kind of distortion in it causing more volume).

And then there's another issue: once you have levelled volumes, how to increase volumes for those rigs for soloing (as save as second rig), again everything keeping within the green area

• I level rig volumes by ear, not by using a meter. I think it is difficult to use a meter to do it, because of the differences in touch sensitivity from Rig to Rig. They don’t have to be perfectly volume matched. As long as they are close, it’s good. The drastic volume changes are the ones to avoid.

I think I probably use a different approach for solo volume-I use my guitar volume knob. I’m sure someone else will have suggestions for changing the actual volume of the rigs.

• As long as you‘re satisfied with what you hear there‘s no need for changing effect parameters in order to match volumes between rigs. Use rig volume for this.
    For getting solo volumes there are several ways but I would prefer these two: put a pure boost post stack with e.g. +3 dB or double the rig with higher rig volume.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I level rig volumes by ear, not by using a meter. I think it is difficult to use a meter to do it, because of the differences in touch sensitivity from Rig to Rig. They don’t have to be perfectly volume matched. As long as they are close, it’s good. The drastic volume changes are the ones to avoid.

This is what I do now. A meter can easily show a high level because of low frequency content you are not hearing. Get your for engineer, or someone you can rely on in the crowd to give you some pointers too.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• boost post stack

I level rig volumes by ear, not by using a meter. I think it is difficult to use a meter to do it, because of the differences in touch sensitivity from Rig to Rig. They don’t have to be perfectly volume matched. As long as they are close, it’s good. The drastic volume changes are the ones to avoid.

OK! That's a good starting point!

put a pure boost post stack with e.g. +3 dB or double the rig with higher rig volume.

I first increased the amp volume, but I think your option is better. But can you explain a boost post stack? I can't find out what this is.

• boost post stack

OK! That's a good starting point!

I first increased the amp volume, but I think your option is better. But can you explain a boost post stack? I can't find out what this is.

I used the old kpa chrunch rig as a volume reference for my basic rhytm an clean sounds. This is the rig that the kpa has in every empty performance in slot 1.

If i create a solo rig I use different methods to set them higher than the setted rhytm sound.

First is: when i use an eq in stomp X I dont need a booster. I set the eq volume up to 2-3 dB.

When i didnt use an eq, I set the amp volume 2-3 dB higher in the smp section.

If i like to use the booster, I set it in stomp X behind the amp and set it up to + 2-3 dB. Behind the amp this is only a volume boost. If you set the booster in front of the amp ( stomp A,B,C or D), the booster will affect your gain and the volume.

A smart way to boost the volume is also by using the morph pedal. Toe position setted to rhytm volume, heel position + 2-3 dB. This saves a stomp slot.

Things in between I do like Paul recommend. I use my guitar volume knob.

Many ways to Rome.....

All these things are written in the manual and I dont want to offend, but these things are basics.

About volume loss when using fx:

Imho sometimes I have the feel the a setted chorus in slot mod ( or in other slots) brings a little volume loss. No problem, because the fx have also a volume parameter. When I have that feeling, I set the volumeparameter of the fx a littler higher (0,4 to 0,8 ).

Back to what I send to the mixing desk:

I take my loud solosound and I check out the sensity of the desk so that nothing clips when playing. This is the part which you have to control with the mixing desk input.

Start at a low point of the output parameter when you send a signal to the mixer. If the signal is too hot and your mixer is setted to high you will damage your cabs! I thing it too long to describe here how to set up the he mixing desk with the kpa, hope you have someone on site who is able to set up the mixer right.

My kpa main outs to the mixing desk are at -18,5 dB and I use the -12 dB function in the output section.
    Set the mixer level ( left/ right channel if you play stereo) to 0 dB and the the input gain to zero. Than play and increase the gain level of the mixer channel. I thing you have a led which gives a warning when the input gainlevel is too high. Increase gain up to a level where the led comes up. Than lower the gain level a little bit so that the input gain has no overflow.
    Be careful when sending a too hot signal to the desk and everything is connected to your cabs! Start at a low level.

Hth

Cheers
    Frank

• But can you explain a boost post stack? I can't find out what this is

You can't find out because it seems that your first step in finding a solution is to ask somebody. In my opinion it's best to sit in front of your Kemper and explore, try, explore, try and so on. Let me give you an example: Above I was talking about a pure boost (not only a boost, but a pure boost). If you would have scrolled through the effect types you would have found the pure boost already. Nobody here can do this for you. Nobody can read the manual for you.
    Like Frank already said: This is all very basic. Even more basic is to know how to find out something about something. In case of the pure boost the first thing that would have come to my mind is to open the manual and search for the word "boost". Thinking is basic too.

Sorry if I'm too hard but the best advice is: think, search, explore, try. If you're not willing to do this, a complex device like the Kemper maybe isn't for you. Let me end by saying that my opinion is not based on this thread alone as I've read a few similar threads by you and they all share the same problem.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks paults. I'll try this.

To Kempermaniac who writes: If you're not willing to do this, a complex device like the Kemper maybe isn't for you.

I've been working with my Kemper now for 3½ years. I've done, read and played a lot in these years and I'm still willing to do anything! Some guys however are more brilliant than me in this matter...That is what this forum is about, right?