Soundcards with Spdif Coaxial Connection

• Hello all

I currently use a UR824 rack mount soundcard in my little studio. I have been looking at adding a few external pedals which will be mounted in the rack case, left on and activated by using the stomp button to turn on the Kemper loop.

I reamp all of my guitar parts but as I understand the DI Out is also the Effects Send so when recording I would have to remove the loop connections to use the DI for reamping.

Now I could use the Coaxial SPDIF connections on the Kemper but the UR824 only has the Optical Toslink connections and to be honest I don't want to spend a money on convertors and cables adding more complexity and points of failure to my system as it's quite streamlined.

So my thoughts are, as I don't need all of the connections in the ur824, to sell the UR824 and buy a smaller unit that has the correct connections for the Kemper.

I am looking for some recommendations on what soundcards you guys have had success with.

Connections wise all I use now is a microphone, speakers, headphone out, kemper reamped.

Any ideas in the £500 region.

Cheers people

Mike

• Save money. I'd say just get a coax to optical converter and be happy. There is little advantage in selling a unit with more inputs for one with less inputs just because the SPDIF is optical.

• Hi NightLight

Strangely enough I was just looking at other quality soundcards like Apollo and RME and you are right it's quite a cost for less flexibility.

In regard to convertor can anyone recommend a good quality convertor. For those who are using them can I ask 2 questions:.

1) are they passive using or do they all require power?

2) would I need 2 convertors, one for each side (input and output) or would I be able to get a single unit that will accommodate both connections.

Cheers guys

Mike

• There are units that have both input and output. Unfortunately, it seems they all require power. But an extra power socket is a small price to pay for being able to use SPDIF imho.

I need to get a converter myself. Haven't been using the ports on my interface because they're optical.

EDIT: Do make a note that the units that have both sides probably won't work as they output whatever comes on the input on both outputs. Not of much use to us.

• That's what I have found, I will need two and then the cables which is going to be expensive.

I also looked at the additional UR series from Steinberg as they are integrate but none come with Coaxial SPDIF connections.

If no one knows a good dual convertor unit at a decent cost then I may just put the FreqOut in front of the Kemper and then change it around when I am gigging.

I do wish there was a few dedicated effects loops on the Kemper but it's a limitation I suppose I'll have to find a way around.

If I find an answer I'll post it here and hopefully we can help each other find a solution.

Thank you for your help.. Mike