Almost went crazy trying to figure this one out! (KPA Midi Info needing an update?)

• So, here`s the deal:

I've been using the KPA in combination with Ableton for a couple of years now. I use two Midi pedalboards (an FCB1010 and an FC300) to control both the KPA and the DAW. Midi goes from the pedals to a merge-box and into the KPA. From there I use the Midi Thru output to send the stream to the Laptop.

Anyway, one of the main functions of my setup has to do with being able to pan phrases in a loop on the fly with my foot. In order to do that, I assigned the pedal switches a specific Midi value, allowing me to "place" the phrase in the stereo spectrum of the looper mix. This panning happens within Ableton though, so my main signal goes straight to the FOH and thus does not “move” around as I play.

So far so good? Ok, so I was recently trying every damn thing to get latency as low as possible on my new laptop and after a program crash noticed that the KPA seemed to be responding to the panning commands.

First thing I checked, was whether I might have accidentally activated monitoring within Ableton and was just hearing the KPA through the DAW. Nope, that wasn´t it.

Next I reinitiated the computer thinking that for some weird reason, something had happened to my soundcard configuration. Nope, wasn’t it either.

Next I plugged in my headphones directly to the KPA to check out the improbable case that … the KPA itself – that is, the panorama setting – was reacting to my panning commands!! WTF!!! I was totally confused, trying to figure out whether by some crazy computer-midi-DAW interaction I had just re-programmed the KPA and it had “learned” to associate the Midi command with the panorama feature. But … yeah, right … for all the KPAs amazing features and coolness, I still didn’t consider it to be at THAT level of AI.

So, the next obvious place to look was at the KPA’s Midi documentation. It just might be possible that there had been a new implementation of midi for the panorama setting in one of the latest updates and by some freakish coincidence it happened to be the same CC I’d been using for panning all along…

So, I looked for the info in the manuals – addendum first, then reference manual, then the midi parameter guide from the website (which is still the one from 2012…) – and I couldn’t find it… Still hoping my KPA had not grown a mind of its own, I started skimming the Kemper announcements on the forum. Wrote MIDI in the search function…nothing.

And then, right when I was thinking about giving up, I searches for ‘Panorama’ and… Bulls-eye! Hidden in the 5.4.0.13150 Public Beta announcement!

So, yeah, ‘Panorama’ can be now controlled via CC 10, which is just the same CC I’ve been using for panning within in Ableton since 2012…

So, anyway, sorry for the super long post but I just wanted to say that while I’m happy I found it out, and that everything will be fine, and that the sentient Kempers will not take over the world (yet), it would be really great if we could have this kind of important info updated in one (prominent) place. This might avoid further trouble as the green beast keeps growing more and more features.

Cheers!

• Oh, thanks for the info @paults that's a really useful resource! Still, the only reason I went for CC10 when setting up Ableton back then was that it was not yet implemented in the KPA. Heck, a hell lot of things weren't. "Panorama" didn't even exist for that matter ;)

Ableton itself does not have any pre-configured Midi assignements. (It does, however have a list of "Control Surface Devices" which probably abide by these standard Midi parameters. Unfortunately, the FC 300 is not one of them)

I guess the safe thing to do at this point is just to send midi streams on separate channels for the DAW and the KPA.