We will take you down - New mix real Drummer

• Hi !

here is a new one with some backing vocals , I've been trying my brand new Beta58 with a Universal Audio preamp profile from the community here. I think the results are really interesting given the fact that I sent my 58 straight to the KPA.

While plugin the jazz bass for this track I still had the UA profile up, and oddly enough it sounded great in this way, so no amp & no cab on the bass parts.

Let me know what you think, I'm new to singing, mixing vocals & direct bass takes to a desk. All FXs KPA.

The guitars were made using a single free AC15 profile ( Mister MAY ) for ALL takes ( cleans , funky stuff, crunch parts, rhythm , PM , leads & fills ) with the help of a real fuzz pedal in front ( nitrogen 21 color fuzz ).

Cheers,

Renaud

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I gave it a listen. The quality of your mixing is really good, beyond me (I have to pay to get mine done).

Good use of effects and whatnot. I'd personally vary the drum programming more from section to section. Since your song doesn't have many different rhythm parts to it, you can give an illusion of change with the drums or bass.

Hope that makes sense. Your skills are good though. Maybe a guitar melody hook for fun?

Grain of salt. What do I know?! I'm not famous

• thanks for constructive critics :)

@waraba, that track avatar choice and song title is eerily prophetic =O;)

I like the bass, nice punch to it. Well done Renaud :thumbup:

That bass tone was good as soon as I plugged my jazzbass to this particular Universal Audio profile, I'll use it extensively in the future, it's super clean, tight & punchy, and mix ready.

I'd personally vary the drum programming

Yeah , the drums are the only parts I don't play or even program as I use samples. I'd definitively hire a real drummer for a session on fiverr if I had to go further on this test track.

• hi !

here comes a new mix as I hired a great Italian drummer to replace the boring samples with some live action.

Hope you like it !

Now I just need some lyrics and a singer

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Now we're talkin! Good work man!

You got some good mixing skills. Is that you doing the mixing or did you outsource that? (I outsource the drums and mixing..my skills don't go beyond the guitar and writing tunes)

• You got some good mixing skills. Is that you doing the mixing or did you outsource that? (I outsource the drums and mixing..my skills don't go beyond the guitar and writing tunes)

Many thx Vick, I don't outsource anything except the drums of course , as I love to write, play, record, dub and mix by myself.

I did not have any mixing skills 5 years ago ( when starting to record myself) , but I kept learning by trial & error, and eventually reached a stage where I could mix my own stuff easily ( on my own gear), after recording more than a hundred track , I guess experience took a good part in my progress.

My KPA presets & profiles ( guitars, bass, synths , voices ) are also perfectly adjusted to my DAW , often I don't even have to EQ my takes, there are already mix ready, that saves lots of time.

I must say I rely on my KPA and automation in my DAW for consistent results, for instance rhythm guitars , bass , leads and vocals have 4 automation respective presets ( EQ, comp , delay , verb ). Automation is the key for good tone, my own signature , and consistent results.

the key is to have a very tight selection of really useful tools and presets, not to be distracted.

A track like this takes 2 hours to record all parts ( guitars, bass, synths , voices ) and maybe half an hour to mix. Add 10 minutes to adjust my outsourced drums ( that come already mixed ) and I'm done. Pretty killer as in the 70's & 80's you'll need a full day at the studio and lots of money to get the same results for just one track.

• I'm definitely impressed! It sounds pro to me!

I really dig the track, Renaud. Great playing and it sounds professional! Look forward to hearing it with lyrics!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Yes probably my best mix so far , and adding some real drums is a game changer. I'm not sure I'll find time to write some lyrics , sing and record the whole myself, and my voice is too clear for this kind of track ... I've seen an "Ozzyfier" in the reaper vocal plugins , maybe that would do the trick ...

Mix wise, the KPA is the central piece here as all instruments & voices went though preamp profiles , or amp profiles, and all sort of FXes. Results are some very clear, tight and punchy takes. So easy to mix :)

The drums were recorded with pro gear in a real studio , and I just had to add some space / stereo enlarging reverb ( great free plugin fount here).