FOH: sending vocals and Kemper

• Hello all

The band I have formed are preparing to gig soon and I am looking for advise on how not to frustrate the FOH guy.

My rack consists of the following:

Guitar;
    Kemper
    Digitech FreqOut
    Wireless system
    Vocals;
    GAP Pre73
    GAP Pre-EQ 73
    TC Helicon VL3x

Guitar wise I think I am good to go. Main outs to FOH with the Monitor to my DXR10 for monitoring. This provides the FOH with control over sound whilst I can control my monitoring. Vocals will be monitored from the house wedges.

Now this is my first outing as a singer but logically does the following sound valid and helpful for the FOH guy. The VL3x has a stereo main out that has the ability to send a wet and dry signal individually, I am thinking of sending all effects (small amount of delay, doubling and reverb) down a mono wet channel with the mono dry channel just plain vocals. In my head this allows the sound guy to mix the vocals depending on the room.

Does this sound like a good idea or would a FOH guy prefer the actual full sound in a mono or stereo channel?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thank you

Mike :evil:

• Hi

I have gigged a lot before but not as a singer.

Mics I don't mind it's just I like a little delay plus some megaphone sounds etc which a FOH guy can't reproduce and it's knowing when it's a long delay, a short delay, a delay with ducking etc.

The question more about if a guy turns up with a vocal unit, what would be the preferred signal being sent.

Cheers mate

• Cheers Paults, this was my thought as it makes sense for them to have a degree of control especially over reverb, delays and the mix of saturation or distortion where it is extreme but mixed

I think I will go down the route of a split mono with dry/wet; also keeps me away from panned stereo effects too as I quite like the on vocals with only a minimal width applied.

Cheers dude, just want to respect the FOH guy plus ensure we sound as good as we can.

Mike

• IME communication & timing is key.

your requirements should be in a tech rider you send to the venue,
    but before that I'd contact the sound guy and ask him/her this very question,
    some prefer to get mixed signals, some don't.

in a wet/dry setup the fx channel can always be 'forgotten', since there are a bunch of other things going on simultaneously.
    personally, I'd keep it as simple as possible and/or look for a sound guy to do all shows, that's the only way to be (relatively) ;) sure