Questions on USB Stick Formatting & Use

• Hello everyone,

I just want to make sure I've understood correctly the first few tasks to perform with regard to using a USB stick to do a firmware update. I've read and reread the pertinent sections of the manual, as well as searching for relevant posts here, but I'm still a bit unsure so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Do I have the following steps correct?

1. Power ON the KPA to Browser mode position.
    2. Insert new USB stick into port on rear of KPA.
    3. When the "third soft button" lights up, push it and follow the instructions. (At this point, after the KPA formats the stick, do I switch the power OFF or just pull out the USB stick?)
    4. Plug the USB into my PC and paste the kaos bin file into the OS Update folder the Kemper created on the USB stick. (Do I then insert the USB stick back into the KPA and power ON the KPA, or vice versa?)

I'm just trying to be careful and not so anything harmful to the unit.
    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Adam "Gtr65"

Edited once, last by Gtr65 ().

• Everything correct out of powering the KPA on/off, no need to do it. The USB is hot swappable

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ok, i followed gtr65 post, created a backup, on a 4 gig usb, but when i try to format the usb, i get= ARE YOU SURE- format usb device now ? ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. what should i do ? am i doing something wrong ?

• As long as you have your data backed up on your desktop, you need to have the Kemper format the USB stick. After formatting (FAT32), you can copy the data back on to the stick from your desktop.

There should be three folders on the Kemper

Backup - for KPA backup files
    OS - put the kaos file in there to update firmware (always save old firmware on desktop in case of issues)
    Shared - profiles go in here.

• ok, i followed gtr65 post, created a backup, on a 4 gig usb, but when i try to format the usb, i get= ARE YOU SURE- format usb device now ? ALL DATA WILL BE LOST. what should i do ? am i doing something wrong ?

Just format it and do a new backup. If you need to keep the old one just copy it on your computer, let the KPA format the usb, and copy it back to the usb

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• As long as you have your data backed up on your desktop, you need to have the Kemper format the USB stick. After formatting (FAT32), you can copy the data back on to the stick from your desktop.

There should be three folders on the Kemper

Backup - for KPA backup files
    OS - put the kaos file in there to update firmware (always save old firmware on desktop in case of issues)
    Shared - profiles go in here.

i did not hook the kpa to pc , was just trying to format the usb stick, am i doing this wrong ?

• i did not hook the kpa to pc , was just trying to format the usb stick, am i doing this wrong ?

You cannot (yet) connect the KPA to the PC, we where talking about transferring the backup file to the PC before to format the USB on the KPA

• You cannot (yet) connect the KPA to the PC, we where talking about transferring the backup file to the PC before to format the USB on the KPA

ok , i must be a dumba$$ today (bad headache) i removed the usb after shutting kpa off, plugged usb into pc, sent to my documents, but cannot view the file, scared i'm going to erase the stock downloads, is there a video to view of the procedure ? thanks to all for answers

• You mean the stock profiles? Don't worry for them, they are available for download (Everybody has a copy, me too). They will anyway remain in the KPA.

• ok , i must be a dumba$$ today (bad headache) i removed the usb after shutting kpa off, plugged usb into pc, sent to my documents, but cannot view the file, scared i'm going to erase the stock downloads, is there a video to view of the procedure ? thanks to all for answers

Let's start again. :D

Put the USB in the Kemper.
    First thing you must do is Format the USB whilst it's in the Kemper.
    Now it will have an empty "Shared" folder on it.

Now put the USB stick in your PC.
    Copy and paste the Profile files you've downloaded into the "Shared" folder.
    And, create a "Cabinet" folder within the "Shared" folder.
    Copy and paste the Cabinet files into the "Cabinet" folder.

Now put the USB stick back into the Kemper.
    Follow instructions and "Import"...everything will be imported into your Kemper.

Now, remove the USB stick....done.

Now, let's say tomorrow you want to download more Profiles.
    Download them and copy and paste them back into the same "Shared" folder.
    The KPA will only Import the new Profiles you added, it recognizes the existing Profiles/files already on the USB stick and doesn't import them again.

If you want to save all the Profile files on your PC then just plug the USB into your PC, open the "Shared" folder, copy and paste all the files into a new Folder you create on your PC.
    If you have a Backup file or Firmware update on your USB stick copy them as well onto your PC.

Now when the next firmware update arrives you can take the same USB stick, plug into the Kemper, format it and no worries, everything you had on the USB stick is already saved on your PC.

Makes sense? :)

• thank you , i will try again when i return home, & thanks to all replys, i am having trouble with registration right now, i dont have any serial # s on kpa.

• Underneath, on the barcode label, "kpa.....".
    Alternatively on the last page of the system menu.