Input Distortion Sense as dynamic control-

• EDIT:
    Please ignore this unless you're confused like me, I'll leave this up though so someone may learn from my misunderstanding of the parameters!!

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Original post

The Distortion Sense Control as I understand it is a control to help with the balance of gain onset, particularly with different pickup input types/levels (I have a 7 string with an EMG and a 6 string with a P90).

While it certainly can adjust the amount of gain onset, I find it acts like a compressor if I increase the level on a gainy patch, and if I lower the level slightly it makes the final mix react more like my "real" amps in the final mix... Especially with rhythm!!!

Maybe it is how hard I pick, but with either guitar I get more of a fuzzy hair as I increase (even slightly), but a flatter overall sound. The overall presentation and tone itself sounds a bit more aggressive if I lower it just a touch, more dynamic and open.

This is not reacting the same as lowering the gain on my real amp in the mix, or even the gain within the rig. I am very familiar with that, and while I know there are similarities, this is definitely a Kemper thing... At least with my hands!

It is really helping my mixes to reduce (with either guitar) the level a little for every patch I play/record with...
    I hope this helps someone!!!

Again, I hope this helps someone!

Edited 6 times, last by Lance-a-not ().

• Very interesting.Thanks.
    I would be interested in CK's feedback.
    I must confess this control is still a mystery to me, I don't really understand what it is meant to.
    It seems to have an impact on all 'distorted' rigs.
    How do you guys set it up ?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

• Very interesting.Thanks.
    I would be interested in CK's feedback.
    I must confess this control is still a mystery to me, I don't really understand what it is meant to.
    It seems to have an impact on all 'distorted' rigs.
    How do you guys set it up ?

My Clean Sense makes sure my input isn't clipping, then I treat the Distortion Sense as an additional distortion/gain/compressor 'shaper', or like a pickup 'Shaper'.

Experiment with it...it does some fun stuff.
    For example, on a Profile that has gain set at zero, it does nothing.
    Add a Compressor stomp to the same Profile and the Distortion Sense starts working, it kind of 'shapes' the Compressor.
    On any Profile/Rig that has some OD/distortion it 'shapes' the distortion in an interesting way, not in the same way the Gain knob does.

CK could have left it out of the 'Input' section, put it somewhere else and called it a "Dynamik Shaper". :)

• You are all overinterpreting both controls.

Clean Sense only adapts the input level to the KPA.
    Doing that, it takes care about the loudness of clean sounds while not altering distorted sounds.

Distorted sense does the opposite: It adapts the level resp. gain for distorted sounds, if that's required.

There is no colouring or additional dynamic whatsoever connected to these controls.
    Please don't create an urban myth!

• Believe me, it would have been the same effect as modifying the gain knob on the KPA.

• CK

Thanks VERY much for the input and info!!

So I did another test, I won't bore people with clips... I was able to get the response you spoke of using the gain knob and the input. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll just say play with the input Dis-Sens (or gain :) ) until you dig the response!