Best way for me to record?

• Hey all,

Loving my Kemper. Been using it mostly as a jam tool, but now I want to make my own music.

So my setup is as follows:

Kemper main outs going to my studio monitors. Then I have a speaker cable running from the Direct Output / Send into the first input of my Scarlett 2i4. I have the input gain set to about halfway on the 2i4. I have output gain set to -12db on the Kemper.

Should I be running the main outs into the interface instead? The sound is fantastic the way I have it right now. I figure I can live monitor my playing with the monitors, but maybe I am losing sound quality by not running the Main Outputs to my interface...am I?

Also, should I run higher volume on the kemper, and lower my interface gain, or vice versa? What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

• As long as you have a healthy level in your interface it doesn’t matter what level you increase.

Generally noisefloor will be reduced if the level that hits the interface is already relatively high.

Secondly it doesn’t matter what output you use.

What matters is what the output is set to.

If your direct out is set to Master Mono it will sound identical to the Main Outs (provided they’re set to Master Mono as well).

For recording I recommend to set the relevant output to stack.

In this scenario post amp Fx will not be recorded and can be added in the DAW.