CLEAN Amplifiers: the Pre in the Kemper Models is IDENTICAL for ALL !!!

• I don't change cabs or anything at all...for me, the reason I have the KPA is to capture my own amps at all settings I am going to use, and recall those exactly the way I captured them for true accuracy. While I realize there is a good deal of tweaking available in the KPA, if honesty/accuracy is your concern, this is just the best way to stay true to each amp. If I want to create a Frankenstein or "impossible" amps, I have plenty of plugins for that.

• I get killer clean sounds with the Rivera M-100, Twin, AC20, Deluxe and Radley's (killer) Gibson cabs....Is it exactly the same as the original?...who f..ing cares! It sounds good?..is good. :D

It is not that there aren't already great cleans possible inside the box but when I see many people relying on Tills cabs I think the same thing done with a couple dedicated open back 2x12's profiled using clean amps wouldn't hurt anyone ;)

• I think these brought up a question: should we do ALL the profile in dist mode?

Someone said there is no CLEAN sound in guitar amps. It's not hifi. More or less there are some distortion.

• Don't you all agree that one (or more) great cab for clean sounds profiled several ways like Tills did, using only clean amps would be great for all of us ?

Yes, I agree.

A Till's 1x12 and 2x12 would be a great addition to his 4x12 cabs...for use with clean Profiles.

There's also a great 4x10 Jensen cab that I use, I think it was made by Gene&Eddy.

• Yes, I agree.

A Till's 1x12 and 2x12 would be a great addition to his 4x12 cabs...for use with clean Profiles.

There's also a great 4x10 Jensen cab that I use, I think it was made by Gene&Eddy.

BigHF has a Marshall 2061CX that he wanted to bring along. It´s a 2 x 12 G12H30 Cab which might be a nice addition. I hope this will happen in the near future.

Interesting thought about the cab profile of a clean amp sounding differently. Should be easy to check if this is the case.

• I think these brought up a question: should we do ALL the profile in dist mode?

Someone said there is no CLEAN sound in guitar amps. It's not hifi. More or less there are some distortion.

I'd been thinking the same thing. Now, if you try to profile a clean (really clean) amp in Dirty mode, the KPA will say "Looks like you were trying to profile a clean amp!" so there's likely some detection threshold here. It would be worthwhile to test whether profiling a clean amp as Dirty reveals itself to be identical to profiling it as Clean or not. I'll probably try that when I've got a minute.

Note: The Clean profiles are not necessarily completely clean - as long as the Amp section is on, you will get some grit even with low levels of input and Gain at 0.0. This is true even if what you've profiled is a loopback cable. Such is the nature of Chris' "Universal Clean Amp".

-djh

The KPA won't allow for it. I have made many profile attempts where the amp is just on the edge of breaking up, and the KPA automatically chooses a "clean" profile. Which doesn't sound very much like the amp since it has a bit of grit - and when I choose "distorted" for the profile, it automatically reverts to clean and doesn't resemble the amp itself. While I do like the idea of the KPA automatically detecting what the amp is, I do wish we would have the option to override it so that the test signals would be appropriate to the gain structure of the particular amp. I think that is something that could be an improvement in future updates.

• I just experimented a little bit. Made some files for testing:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5902643/TillS_clean_vs_dist_cabs.zip

I made 3 profiles, all with the JVM410H, same power amp settings, same cab and miking for all profiles, and all channel tone controls set to noon. First profile is the OD2 orange channel, same setting i used for all my profiles. The other 2 profiles were done with the clean channel, green mode. The "A" profile was done with the clean profile mode, the "B" profile was done in distortion profile mode. The Cab files of all 3 profiles are already included (number 060 to 062) so you can start comparing right away.

It is obvious that using the clean channel has HUGE impact on the cab portion of the profile. If you use those clean cab profiles in a distortion rig, it sounds awfully thin and trebly.

The clean profile mode doesnt make a huge tonal difference, but i had the impression that the resulting profile had less noise than the one done with the distortion profile mode.

To sum it up: if you plan to exchange the cab of a clean rig it totally makes sense to use a cab profile that was also created with a clean amp.

• Voila..that was exactly my point . Time to profile clean amps bro ;)

• I think this is an interesting thread, as I tend to use mainly clean/crunch settings, not a hi gain kinda guy. I have taken a number of clean cab profiles which can have a wide effect on the subsequent amps sound, agree strongly about the gene and eddy 4X10 cab, its great, in addition the cabs from the little 6v6 swart atom, fender champ, morgan 20 and one of the brute&phat clean settings are all very useable, and create a different tonality for clean sounds. I also love the way crunch sounds, like the morgan for example, clean up with the guitar volume knob

I am spending so much time trying to get my ultimate setting assembly together, I don't want to miss anything, but also am looking forward to having created my optimum collection, so i can get back to playing the guitar rather than being some sort of guitar tone tester

its testimony to just how good this damn thing is that my sounds keep getting better and better as i learn to feel my way with it, and some of the recent additions have been excellent as we all improve, the 2 recent matchless posts are outstanding, as is the two rock clean profile, when i eventually get to the end I will share the results for anyone who's interested, but given the wide variety of taste here, it is such a personal thing, which is also a huge thumbs up, as this unit seems capable of satisfying many guitarists needs in a wide range of circumstances

great job chris

• well i'm working my way through it all, it is a labour of love, but we have been spoilt with an embarrassment of riches, and continue to be, havent tried the new stuff from the last couple of days, but some really interesting stuff there. I intend to rationalise it down to the best i can hear from the range, adapted to my ears, and then i'm going to clearly name them by amp and cab of origin, as emotive names, or personal ones, get forgotten, but trying to be clear about their roots will help me pick em for future use when i'm recording and playing with the band

i'll happily share all this when i'm done, but it will take a while yet, but will post once i'm happy

• as i live in the beautiful city of Bath, i get to walk and daydream in a wonderful setting a lot, and was musing on this conundrum of the clean sound settings from various amps. Big hats off to the guys that posted the 65 tupelo and the Carr rambler, these along with a couple of recent postings, seem to have more depth and resonance than some of the earlier ones, and i wondered if, as the software and hardware is worked on, whether there could be an element of improvement now available as the unit is refined, compared to some of the early adopters efforts?

anyone got a view?