SPDIF out Direct Dry Output

• Nevermind, i figured it out on my own like a big bo! So does the SPDIF record at the optimal gain level? For example, if we now reamp via the recorded spdif signal through SPDIF, it should theoretically sound idnentical or no?

I did a test sending only the dry guitar and reamping later and the level was ok.

• Sending the "dry" out the spdif has already gone through A/D conversion once it gets there. What you want for an unadulterated signal is to send the dry out the Direct Output, as this passes the analog signal through with no a/d conversion, handy if you have high quality converters. Then when you reamp you could use spdif, thus bypassing Kemper's analog converters if you want.

The direct output simply can´t be "untouched" or without digital conversions because you can configure which signal is present on the output. This means you have at least 2 conversions by using this output + any additional conversions with your audio hardware.

• I've just tested it. If you record the dry signal of your spdif output, you get a signal with the level required to reamp through spdif without having to adjust it. Working this way you are passing only one A/D conversion and the level of the signal is the same you use when using that profile.

• The direct output simply can´t be "untouched" or without digital conversions because you can configure which signal is present on the output. This means you have at least 2 conversions by using this output + any additional conversions with your audio hardware.

This is what the manual says (when selecting Git Analog):

Git Analog
    (Only available and default setting for the Direct Output on the Direct Output).
    The pure and clean instrument signal is sent to the Direct Output by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel.

• Till: Animus is right. If you change to another output signal then you go through the converters, otherwise not. Easy to check: measure the latency.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Thx guys. Didn´t know that this would be possible. How does this work??? I mean, when you put another signal on the output there has to be a digital routing. KPA Magic 8)

There's a analog splitter inside the Kemper that splits off before it hits the internal converter. This only works on the Direct Output when choosing Git Analog, otherwise it bypasses the splitter and routes through digital.

• I've just tested it. If you record the dry signal of your spdif output, you get a signal with the level required to reamp through spdif without having to adjust it. Working this way you are passing only one A/D conversion and the level of the signal is the same you use when using that profile.

What is the SPDIF level you have it set to for recording the direct via SPDIF to capture at accurate volume so when reamping it sounds identical? This is what im ultimately aiming at here. I track guitars through kemper, and later if i want to edit a take i want it to go back into the kemper sounding identical to tracking live for a reprint. I know SPDIF will be the best way to do this as previously i had been recording the dry direct out from the back of KPA into preamp and amp was tracked SPDIF. I want my gain structure to remain in tact when reamping. So my question is, what is the optimal setting on the SPDIF master out for the direct signal into our DAW? im sure i can get this very close by ear but if there is a correct level to have it set on from SPDIF out id like to know what that is. Hope that made sense!

--
    Beau McKee - Producing Engineer
    @ Frequency Studios
    RECORD - PRODUCE - MIX - MASTER
    Phone: +61 421 938 284

http://www.BeauMcKee.com

• The SPDIF direct signal is not currently recording at optimal level. when i reamp the gain staging is wrong from the original performance. When i gain match, its about 12db off, and even then with a phase reverse it isnt close to being completely cancelled out. I understand it will never completely cancel out due to the way the kempe processes differently each time, but i feel i can definitely get it closer with the right advice here. Some help from CK or someone with experience would be rad, thanks in advance!

--
    Beau McKee - Producing Engineer
    @ Frequency Studios
    RECORD - PRODUCE - MIX - MASTER
    Phone: +61 421 938 284

http://www.BeauMcKee.com

Edited once, last by Beau_Mckee ().