Power amp and cab for use live (WITH Cab Sims)

• Hi there

I'd like to explore using my Kemper live, and would prefer to have my own monitor which I can use without switching off Cab sims. (Because I'd like to hear what the PA is sending out.)

I'd like something not too expensive (i.e. nowhere near the cost of the Kemper), small, lightweight.

I've thought about:

• Tech 21 Power Engine.... but I think I'd need to turn off cab sims?
    • Atomic Reactor FRFR if I can find one second hand... though whats the point of introducing a tube...?
    • A FRFR monitor - trouble is they all seem fairly bulky...

What exactly would you all recommend?

Thanks!!

• I can speak only for myself, I use FRFR monitors since years and actually I'm using an RCF NX-12 SMA and very happy with it (coming from a QSC K10)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I recently did this too, but after a LOT of shopping around I went for the Matrix1000GT I use the 2U version..(its designed from the ground up to work with these types of units.) a great affordable poweramp with plenty of balls to its name.

I currently paly live with my 11R still.. untill Kemper make a rack version, and Ive uilt a good portfolio of sounds to use, eventually the 11R with be replaced. (as it does sound better) but IMO its not ready yet to play live gigs!.

There is a smaller 1U version the 800GTX - it is simular in responce to a Tubeamp but being SS out the box. - I'd highly recommenmd one of these..now I run this with my speakercab on stage.. and I get that real Oompf of an amp in the room feeling that I so dearly missed with using these things. they are based in UK, but have US offices and suppliers. - you can run it how you want. but this is how I'd prefer! :)
    FOH is fine, but you dont get the ampINroom effect. likewise with FRFR.

http://matrixguitaramplification.com/

• im about to try power amp guitar cab for the first time. matrix just released an amp module (£250) which i bought this week to use with my 1x12 guitar cab (my new stage monitor). now im looking at a speaker like the evm 12l classic. lots of power, popular and it seems some modelling guys are happy using this with 'cab monitoring on' as its fairly hi fi

• Hi guys - thanks for all the replies.

Problem is, all these options so far are either expensive or not very compact. Ideally I want an all in one speaker / power amp combo, and less than £500!

The QSC K10 seems to be the FRFR of choice - but that's pretty expensive. Are they really SO much better?

(Sorry, I come from valve amps - so all this is very new! :) )

• I am also using a Matrix GT800 power amp with custom TT cabs loader with Evm12l speakers. IMHO à good solution to have the best of booth world.

ahh you are using the evm12s, how are you finding them with the KPA? i think it was on the axe forum people were saying they were even happy using the cab sims through them. nice option to have if so!

• Hey Jimmy,
    how are you monitoring you KPA at home/garage?

I believe the loudspeaker system cost should be an important fraction of the rig. In the hi-fi world it's advised to not stay below 50%. Since we're musicians, and the rig includes guitars, other fx etc. I'd recommend to stay around 50% of the "amp" at least (being it a modeller or a modeller + poweramp).
    It's no sense to invest in so much technology and have a weak link in the chain.
    A balanced rig will give you unexpected satisfaction, for sure :)

The RCF Guitarnet mentioned, for example, is a pro-level PA cab that would take a rig a step further. Here's a very in-depth thread where they compare it with other options as well. RCF also make a cheaper 10" model.

A passive cab + a SS amp like the Matrix is another interesting solution; each one has got its pros and cons.

I'd suggest you to go coaxial anyway, it helps a ot in terms of sonic coherence and dispersion angle on stage.

Just my 0.02

• I use Tech 21 power engine for various purposes, since 1996 (if I remember right). I use it as FRFR system too, with modellers & KPA of course, giving me excellent sound on stage,and "amp in the room" feel, but I have exchanged the stock speaker to a Beyma 12 GA50 for this purpose.
    The old stock speaker (Eminence special design),and the new one (Celestion Seventy 80) isn't IMO the best for cab sims.

• ahh you are using the evm12s, how are you finding them with the KPA? i think it was on the axe forum people were saying they were even happy using the cab sims through them. nice option to have if so!

I am a big fan of the EVM12L but those need some volume and a relatively long time to breakup. I keep usually the cabs with the Kemper but it is also great without depending on the amp profile.

• I just started using a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 (1x12) yesterday with my KPA and I have to say I love it...really does give that amp in the room feel! I think it sounds great with cab sims on...

Just my $0.02

• I just started using a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 (1x12) yesterday with my KPA and I have to say I love it...really does give that amp in the room feel! I think it sounds great with cab sims on...

Just my $0.02

The issue here is that, tweaking the KPA to get an optimal sound to the Power engine,sending the same signal to PA doesn't sound the same way. This happens because the stock speaker is something between a guitar & full range speaker.

• You can easily install a fullrange speaker in the power engine and have the same sound out of the Tech21 and the PA. I did this and it's a great solution, especially when you get a used power engine. I got everything for under 300$, any FRFR active box will be more expensive and I also prefer the look of a "real" guitar box.

• You can easily install a fullrange speaker in the power engine and have the same sound out of the Tech21 and the PA. I did this and it's a great solution, especially when you get a used power engine. I got everything for under 300$, any FRFR active box will be more expensive and I also prefer the look of a "real" guitar box.

which "full range" speaker did you go with?