Recording using SPDIF out.

• Hi. Im having some trouble recording using the spidf out on my Kemper. Im using, as I already mentioned, the Kemper SPDIF out into a Focusrite Clarett. Then the Clarett goes into Logic Pro 10.4.7 on a MacBook Pro. My Kemper is using the latest software. 7.1.2 as well. All the clocks are set to 44.1. The SPDIF out is set to master stereo and the SPDIF volume is up in the output settings. After that I really don't know what to do and I don't see any levels coming from anywhere at any point along the chain so don't even know where to begin to trouble shoot. Is there a step by step guide/video somewhere to show how to do this? That starts with, "Now turn on your Kemper," level of simplicity. I found a few forums where people have made it pretty far and are missing just one thing but I feel like I might be missing a few things. Can anyone who's done this or understands this advise? I would most definitely be appreciative. Thanks for even humoring this thread!

• Okay, let's start: Turn your Kemper on first... (sorry, couldn't resist afer your last remark... and humour always helps in such situations....8o)

Now seriously: Welcome to the forum and have fun with your Kemper. Recording and re-amping via SPDIF works like a charm for me. So let me try to help by just firing out some thoughts or questions which may help:

• Which Kemper? Toaster or Rack? Then the Kemper needs to be Master in the SPDIF clock configuration! Stage? Then it shouldn't matter but one of the units needs to be Master, the other can't be Master then.
    • Wired the SPDIF correctly? Kemper out to Clarett in? Kemper in to Clarett out in case you need clock signal from the Clarett?
    • SPDIF output volume should be at 0.0 per default.
    • Tried different profile(s)?
    • Have you tried to set the SPDIF out to Git / Stack for instance to see if signal comes then? Advantage that the pure Git signal would come then as well and then the profile would not play a role in the game.

Hard to find more for me as it is pretty straight forward - at least in the Kemper itself. As I don't have the Clarett and Logic I can not speak for that. Have you made sure that the routing in the Clarett is appropriate? And that Logic is grabbing the right input channel, i.e. the one coming from SPDIF in the interface? Routing can be complicated.

Fingers crossed that you'll figure it out quickly....

• Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have the rack and your advice has already paid dividends. I'm now getting levels in logic and in Focusrite control. I didn't have the Clarett set to spdif. However, now Im not getting any monitor sound if that's the correct way to put it. Basically I can see there's levels but can't hear anything. Do I need to set something to hear those channels? Which are channels 3/4.

• However, now Im not getting any monitor sound

Two ideas on that: Either you can configure your Clarett in the internal mixer do directly route the SPDIF input to your monitor outs - I can't see any options here from your screenshots. But typically modern audio interfaces offer you something like "direct monitoring" so that input channels are directly routed to the monitor out in order to listen to the input wihtout any latency.

Second way could be to setup your track in Logic, activate the recording for this track and at the same time the monitoring of the track. That incurrs some latency though but would be one way to hear your Kemper while recording.

Does the sound of other DAW tracks go smooth through the Clarett?

By the way: Please make sure that the Kemper Rack is the clock master for SPDIF. Otherwise you will have unwanted noise in your recordings.

• Thanks for advice once again deadman42. I dont now what button I hit to cause this change but somehow there was no output selected in every new track I created after I started messing around with Logic and Focusrite control trying to hear the SPDIF track. It wasn't just that track or even that project file. I must made a universal change in logic so even when creating a new track in a new project there was no output selected in the track inspector. (All the way in the left, middle of the pic) Once I put that to stereo out, boom, there it was.

• Glad to hear you solved it. You might consider to add [Solved] to the subject of the thread as it is good practice here in the forum once a problem is gone.

Have fun now being creative and with your recordings... :thumbup: