Recording

• Hey man, could you send me a link to the headphones you are talking about... I can find sims for headphone recording but not that actual headphone or the name of any... :love:

I hope it's fine to post this, if not (Moderators) please let me know and I will delete it. I don't want by any means to be misunderstood that I am advertizing anything.

Well, it's not headphones, it's a usb device you plug you headphones in. It's called VRM Box (by Focusrite), which simulates mainly different sets of reference monitor speakers and other speakers' set ups (desktop speakers, TV ste speakers). It helps you this way to do your mixes in a little better way than with just your headphones.
    Results are pretty decent, but not in any way compared to any mix done with a proper set of monitors. At least it gives you a cheap option to have a better result than just mixing by headphones or not proper speakers, especially if you cannot afford buying good montors or (as many of us) have neighbour issues.

It's also a very handy too, even if you have good monitors, to have a listen of how your mix will translate on other equipment (e.g the mix sounds good with good speakers, but when you listen to it on your desketop speakers -which many people will listen through if you upload something on Soundcloud- will it sound any good or the guitars dissappear for example?). It helps somehow to have a balance and correct a couple of things.

Edited once, last by Stemast ().

• I'm starting to figure out that I can't get a good loud, crisp guitar tone... like the blues ones for example on soundcloud.... my addictive drum tracks sound good, clear and crisp and powerful... but the guitar just doesn't seem to.. tried the other guitar too... these guitars sound fine through amps... and great in the headphones from the kemper... there must be something that I am not doing right or well... I asked Daniel Domino fro soundcloud about his Blues Test KPA track... he said nothing much was done, just kemper - interface and DAW... I really wonder what the heck I am doing wrong... I go kemper to m audio fast track pro to computer.... and reaper... I wish it was easier, I find myself searching youtube and the net a lot trying to figure things out :) :cursing:

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• To be honest, I too am satisfied with my guitar sound directly from KPA (usually s/pdif out, and some other times with my G system on the effects loop and the direct outs). I have rarely done any post processing on the guitar tracks, they are most of the times as I want them to be.

• To be honest, I too am satisfied with my guitar sound directly from KPA (usually s/pdif out, and some other times with my G system on the effects loop and the direct outs). I have rarely done any post processing on the guitar tracks, they are most of the times as I want them to be.

Could you tell me exactly your recording path.. levels and everything please... funny but I always preferred my boss br's recorded sounds better than reaper when I first tried reaper..

• No I kept the mids... I think the prob might be that I'm getting the sound I want in headphones as I can blas things here... and maybe thats why playback isn't so good... I'll try a quiet but through the monitors track tonight and see if it sounds better...

I haven't been able to get a good sound from my monitors in the past, it doesn't sound very good at all like i hear in the videos on youtube...

thanks

steve

• Mixing with headphones is a bad idea. Get yourself a decent set of monitors and u will be guessing less an hearing more. As far as blowing out the neighbors? Nearfield monitors do great at sounding good at your listening position and dont really need to be cranked. One famous mix engineer was once asked how his mixes sound so big and anthemic. He sad he mixes at normal listening volumes and nothing louder. To him. If he could get a nice full sounding mix at quiter levels, it would only sound bigger if u turned it up.

• Mixing is like painting a picture. Don't expect Rembrandt to start. It takes years and practice and critical listening to learn what works for u

• I'm starting to figure out that I can't get a good loud, crisp guitar tone... like the blues ones for example on soundcloud.... my addictive drum tracks sound good, clear and crisp and powerful... but the guitar just doesn't seem to.. tried the other guitar too... these guitars sound fine through amps... and great in the headphones from the kemper... there must be something that I am not doing right or well... I asked Daniel Domino fro soundcloud about his Blues Test KPA track... he said nothing much was done, just kemper - interface and DAW... I really wonder what the heck I am doing wrong... I go kemper to m audio fast track pro to computer.... and reaper... I wish it was easier, I find myself searching youtube and the net a lot trying to figure things out :) :cursing:

One thing to keep in mind is not just the guitar tone itself. Even if you had Daniel's exact tone it might not sound good in your "mix" depending on how you mixed and what other instruments/sounds that make up your mix and the quality of them. A mix is like a puzzle. When you change the sound of one element it will make the perception of another element different. That's why you often hear people say never solo sounds when mixing as what sounds good own it's own often won't sound good in the context of the mix. Often times good mix guitars tones sound like shit when isolated but when mixed in with the rest of the music fit like a glove.

• Headphones are generally bad yes, and not recommended at all for music production. - this all depends of course how serious you want to go, who you plan to play it too, and where. - studio moniters are designed for a reason, to aid the creater to balence music with each other in a easy fashion. - headphones are very personall, and wont take room variables into the equasion, so you can spend all day/night mixing and be happy, only to play it out loud and be very disapointed.

The guitar sounds, well this really is an open ended book.. might worth considering that the guitar profile your using might be the wrong one.. try another, after all its all about balence. - and with the KPA you have that choice.

So many other factors come into this, from quality of guitar to cables to interface A/D conversion and so on. - are you recording at 24bit? using SPDIF to connect to your interface?
    becasue really, Diret from kemper should sound the same as what you hear yourself play. - I very rarly do too much to them, maybe just light EQ to help balence them with other instruments and make room for the bass. - but if you start reaching for "how can I improve this in a big way" then you have done something very wrong at source.

I think its time you posted some examples so we can hear what it is your talking about.. otherwise its hard to be constructive out of words!

• OK people

http://soundcloud.com/stevoe/gotta-tellya

Here's a track... I'm aware the bass drum and whole drum track is a little prominent and could be mixed better, suggestions welcome... BUT couldn't get the main guitar tracks to be prominent... I used the DIV 13 D1 profile and changed the cab setting a little.. added this and that in Reaper, freq cuts here and there and a little boost here and there...

please let me know what you hear in the mix that I could do to make the guitars stand out better... it's pretty much a vintage sound I was after but I think I could get that with any profile if I messed with it, if you listen to the white stripes, black keys with their weak old guitar tone. (that we all love) how did they get them to stand out so well.....

Thank you Kemperers.....

steve

Reaper, fast track pro, cheap Squier standard Tele (stock), reapers eq for cutting, ozone 5, demos of psp warmers etc.... and a big headache.

• At least I lean't something :) but still didn't learn how to record :)

Lol!!
    Sorry man, I'm everything but an expert when it comes to recording. I use the most primitive methods imaginable, myself...
    But from what I see, the guys will be on it soon!

On a sidenote: That "Dammit i'm maD" thingy would go well with my avatar! 8o